Close minded.
I used to have a narrow outlook of what family could be, but that was entirely my choice. I didn't want to notice the wrong or open my eyes and see the truth. No one ever likes the fact their family has issues.

My former family was made up of four people. Mom, Dad, Julia, and Me. I wanted to trust that everything was and would be fine. So I blocked out all the warning signs that were given to me.

'We are just like any other family'

How very naive of me, saying that even after being fully aware of everything.

Like how Dad got home an extended amount of time after his shift normally ended. It became routine for me to smell the very distinct perfume. It was an intense rose smell that would never fail to be there after Father got home from work. Moms scent was contradictory to that. It was like going to the beach and listening to waves crash at shore. Kind of like a reassuring smell, If that ever were a smell.

I silenced myself. I wasn't about to ruin what we had. It didn't even occur to me that there might be another option.

Mom.
It wasn't known to me at the time, but our Mother uncovered fathers dirty secrets long before I did. She knew everything. How could we possibly be an ordinary family? We couldn't. Divorce was inevitable.

Confusing myself was not enjoyable to say the least. One part of me felt joy that at last Mother was free. But the other part of me was selfish, wanting them to stay together, so that nothing would be altered and affect what we spent so much time building.

'Why does everything have to change'
I asked no one.

'Why did that man who I used to call father do this to our loving and caring Mother'
No one responded.

I had so many questions that would stay unanswered.

During this time period my Mom worked for the first time in years. She took care of everything we needed financially. Definitely over working herself. And the only reason I knew this was because I saw her the bare minimum of the time I could've been seeing her. Longer work days, less sleep, and more junk food. What a pathetic excuse of a day in my Moms life.

The dark circles under her eyes imprinted like if they were always there to begin with. The pale face that once was bright and always had that signature smile I loved. Her whole body seemed to be worsening every passing day. How I wish to help her now but had no clue what was going to happen back then. Maybe I could've stopped the incident from happening, but now it's too late.

Sister.
With my own two eyes I saw a straight A+ student with the most destructive teen in school. What a shock considering it was my one and only Sister Julia. The things they would do, I never want to visualize, so I don't. It was unclear to me if Mother knew about the relationship, but I hope not. That would've just added more stress to her already stressful life.

Incident.
It started out like any other normal day or what would have been considered normal. This particular day seemed nice but, it was a little too nice. It could've been the way everyone I walked by wore a smile, that came from ear to ear or maybe the way the sun came out and brought light after weeks of rain. I had a gut feeling something wasn't right. Everything looked fine at first glance but look a little deeper and you'll find that in reality everything was wrong.

Today was a day for people to enjoy. Everyone knew that a day like this wouldn't come again soon, so they took advantage and went out to have some fun. But, like always there has to be at least one person that isn't as radiant as the rest. That person was not happy in the least. In fact, they despised today so very much that they had a frown on the entire day, while everyone else was beaming with joy. That very person was planning something. Planning something that would cause so much pain and suffering to the surrounding people.