Chapter 2

You and your brother walked away from the dock. The sky was a murky blue and clouds traveled with the wind. You followed your dad into your hotel, The Priest Hole, complete with teal paint peeling off the wood. The sign was dull and faded. You followed your dad into the building, spotting old photographs and newspaper articles displayed on the wall. Inside was a pub, all but empty.

"You said this was a hotel," you muttered to Jake. He shrugged in response. You sat on your suitcase and stared at the ceiling.

***

After putting your bags down, you sat in the pub while Jake tried to convince your dad to let you go see the children's home.

"You're going by yourself?" your dad glared at him.

"I'm pretty sure (Y/N) wanted to go," Jake responded.

Your dad nodded. You practically jumped out of your seat and followed Jake out the door.

"I don't know what I would've done without you here, (Y/N)," Jake grinned, "thanks for putting up with me."

"No problem," you said.

You and Jake walked down the empty street along the shoreline. Not a person or children's home to be seen.

"Where are we going?" you asked.

"No idea," Jake laughed.

Up ahead was a line of trees and shrubs. A thin mist engulfed it. "Should we try through that?" you pointed at them.

"Sure."

You were the first the burst through the treeline, Jake trying to catch up. You looked up at the tall house in front of you. To your dissappointment, the house was deserted, the roof barely standing. "What happened here?" you asked.

Jake's mouth gaped.

"I'm going to look around," you went to the door.

"(Y/N), we probably should go," Jake said.

You pushed open the heavy door and walked down the hallway. Dirt and vines lined the walls. You stepped over the broken glass on the floor and went through to the dining room. The table was still set, but there was no one sitting at it. The light fixture hung above the center, tattered and rusty.

You turned around and went up the stairs, the railing about to fall off. Something smelled from the hallway. You went in the first room and found what looked like a storage room. Shelves lined the walls, filled with jars and packages. You pulled on of the jars off of the shelf and looked at its contents. It was filled to the brim with an off-white liquid. Something dark red floated in the jar. You looked closer. It was a heart, probably from some animal. You opened the lid. A strong stench filled the room. You recognized it to be formaldahyde, keeping the heart preserved. You tightened the lid back on and put the jar back in its place.

Jake yelled from outside. You rushed down the stairs and out the door, careful to keep the house in tact. "What?" you said as you shut the door.

"I really think we should go," Jake looked over his shoulder, "something's making the bushes move."

"That's weird. Come on, then."

You got back to the Priest Hole fine, other than Jake was still in shock about the children's home. Your dad didn't have any answers, as usual, other than, "you should call Dr. Golan."

It was getting late. You were in your room, staring at the wall. You fell in bed and pulled out your phone. "You doing anything important?" you texted Jake.

Your phone went off only moments later. "What do you think?"

"I need somebody to talk to."

"Fine. I'll be there in a minute."

You put your phone back in your pocket and sat up. Jake knocked.

"Come in."

Jake sat next to you. "I'm bored."

"Right?"

The room was quiet. You and Jake exchanged glances.

"Was there anything interesting in the children's home?" Jake broke the silence.

"I wasn't in there very long, but I found some cool stuff in there," you said, "I went into this room on the second floor that reeked."

"That's cool?"

"Listen for a minute, will you?" you punched him in the shoulder, "there were all of these jars in there filled with hearts and stuff like that."

"You're weird," Jake said.

"The point is, I don't ever remember Grandpa telling us about someone who collects vital organs or whatever. Who do you think it was?"

Jake shrugged. "No idea. The headmistress?"

"Doubt it."

You sat in silence. Jake looked at his watch and stood up. "Wow, it's late. I'm gonna sleep on it. We can discuss it tomorrow." He made his way to the door.

"What about I show you the room tomorrow?" you suggested.

"Better. Goodnight, (Y/N)."

"Night, Jake."

***

You and Jake went back to the children's home as soon as you got up. The mist was thicker, the sky was a darker blue. The house towered above you. You pushed the door open once again and went inside, the house untouched since the day before.

You lead Jake up the stairs and into the room. Jake stared at the shelves with wide eyes. "I'm more confused than when you first told me about this," he said.

You turned around and went back into the hallway. You shrieked when you saw someone else at the end of it.