Chapter 4

"What are you looking at?" the boy asked. He glared and stormed out of the room.

You shrugged and turned back to Jake and Miss Peregrine, who weren't there. You rolled your eyes and went out the front door. You sat on the front steps and pulled out your phone, unfortunately dead.

You stood up and walked to the Priest Hole. The paint was fresh, the sign was still readable. You went inside to find a crowd of people gathered in the pub, drinks in hand. A couple of customers gave you odd looks.

"What on Earth is she wearing?" somebody asked.

You turned around and saw the calendar. Apparently it was September 1943. How is this happening? Am I dreaming? you asked yourself. You ran out of Priest Hole and back to the house. Olive was climbing the stairs.

"What's going on here?" you asked, "the calendar in the pub says it's 1943."

"It is 1943," she said, "in our loop everyday is September the third, 1943. At the end of the day, Miss Peregrine resets our loop back. She’s an ymbryne, a special kind of peculiar that can turn back time."

"And she can be a bird when she wants, right?" you said.

"Yes."

"Do you know where my brother went?"

"No. But you can come join us if you like."

"Us?"

"Enoch and I."

"Sure," you followed her upstairs. She went in the room with the jars. A dim light glowed from the corner. The boy sat at a table, pulling apart a doll, it looked like. He looked up from his work and glared at you. "So you're Jake's sister," he said, "I don't remember Miss Peregrine ever talking about you."

"And my grandfather never mentioned you," you said.

"That's understandable," he replied, "I'm Enoch O'Connor."

"I'm (Y/N)," you said, "may I ask what you're doing with that?"

"This is my peculiarity," he said. He pulled out a small heart and stuck it in the back of his creation's head. "I can make dead things do what I want," he said.

"It's really fun to watch," Olive smiled.

Enoch whispered something to the doll. Its spider-like legs started to move. It began circling the table, until it eventually wandered over the edge and crashed on the floor. Enoch bent over and gently picked it up. 

You looked at Enoch's eyes. His eyebrows had relaxed, letting the dim light into his deep brown irises. He set down the doll and went to the window, dropping his eyebrows again. He pulled back the curtain and looked out. You saw a faint reflection of him in the glass. It stared back at you and held a torn heart. You jumped and got closer to the window. Enoch wasn't holding a heart. His eyes narrowed. You looked out and saw Jake and Emma walking back to the house. Their hands were tightly knit together. You turned back to Enoch. He turned away and sat back down in front of his dolls.

"Tell Jake to come in here next time you see him," Enoch said to Olive. She went into the doorway and stuck her head into the hallway.

"What's going on?" you asked.

Enoch didn't respond. He pulled out more limbs and parts for a second doll.

"What do you want with my brother?"

"We need to talk for a few minutes, that's all."

"I see how it is. I'll leave," you turned around and left. You passed Jake on the stairs.

"(Y/N)!" he said, "where were you this whole time?"

"Does it matter to anyone?" you rolled your eyes and kept walking. You went back to where you started, on the doorstep by yourself.

A/N:
I'm so sorry this took so long to update... I was in the musical at my school and my life was really hectic. Updates should come a bit more frequently now.