Chapter 5

You sat down and pulled out your phone, completely dead. It doesn't matter to anyone, the thought kept coming back, no one really cares.

You looked around and saw the other children playing in the yard. An older boy in a suit walked towards you. His eyes wouldn't look away from yours.

"How do you do, I'm Horace," he held out his hand to shake.

"I'm (Y/N)," you shook his hand.

"I don't mean to startle you, but you were in my dreams last night and I was wondering, do you have a peculiarity?" he asked.

"I'm not like the rest of you, if that's what you're asking," you said. "What did you dream? What did I do?"

"It was unlike anything I've seen before. Most of it was fuzzy and vague, but I do remember you looking in a mirror, one that we have in the attic, and in the reflection was this terrible creature I can't describe." He paused and shook his head. "Are you sure you don't have a peculiarity?"

You nodded. "I might be insane at best, but not peculiar."

"That's a shame. We'd like you here."

"Here... forever?"

"Of course. Wouldn't you like it here?"

"Yeah, but I honestly get the feeling that-"

"You don't matter to us as much as Jake does," Horace interrupted, "I know. I told you, I dreamed about you last night."

Your mouth fell open.

"Should we find your brother?" Horace asked.

"He might still be upstairs with Enoch but I'm not sure. Either way he probably doesn't want to see me."

Horace stood. "Nonsense," he said, "he'll come back for you, you'll see. Either way, you still-" Horace stopped himself.

"What?" you raised an eyebrow.

"It's nothing," he said.

You and Horace went inside. He followed you up the stairs. You turned a corner and nearly ran into Enoch in a foul mood. You looked into his piercing stare, very intimidated. It took a while to say something. "Enoch," you said, "do you know where Jake went?"

Horace turned around. "And now I'm leaving. You have fun," he said under his breath.

"Wait, no! Horace, come back!" you said. It was already too late. You turned back to Enoch. "So, Jake? Where is he?" you asked.

"Probably with Emma somewhere, why should I care?" he scowled and walked past you.

Olive came out into the hallway. "I'm really sorry about Enoch. He's been in a bad mood today."

"It's fine. I'm used to it."

"You're staying for supper, aren't you?" she asked.

"I think so."

"Then we need to find you a dress. Come on." Olive went into another room. She opened up a closet with a variety of dresses. You picked out a (Y/F/C) dress that fit perfectly. "(Y/N), you're stunning," Olive said, "let's get downstairs before we're late."

You two entered the dining room as everyone was sitting down. All eyes went to you. And for the second time that day, you saw Enoch lift his eyebrows.

A/N
I never said ANYTHING about writing more often, no. Nothing like that. I'm really sorry I stopped updating for a bit. I'm trying. I'm such a great person that I actually forgot almost entirely where this plot was going to go, oops. So at this point I'm just making this up as I write. Hahaha. I'M TRYING.