Chapter 6

Enoch couldn't stop watching you. You blushed and sat down between him and Olive.

"Someone's in a better mood," Horace looked at Enoch.

Enoch looked down at his plate, then stole another glance at you before Jake and Emma came in. He turned around and his eyebrows dropped again.

"Too soon," Horace muttered.

Enoch gritted his teeth and balled his fists. You felt the urge to grab his hand and calm him down. He wasn't always so angry. He wasn't heartless. You saw something in him earlier that day. Something no one else could.

Enoch stood up and stormed off.

"Enoch! Come back here!" Miss Peregrine shouted after him.

"Go," Horace whispered to you.

You raised an eyebrow.

"Go after him," he persisted, "trust me."

You took a breath and stood up. "Excuse me," you ran out. You went upstairs and found Enoch sitting on his bed.

"I'm sorry to barge in like this," you said.

"Why are you here?" Enoch looked up.

"Why did you come up here?" you asked. You sat next to him.

Enoch took one look into your eyes and broke down. Tears streamed down his cheeks. "You care so much," he cried, "why?"

"I don't know much of what's going on myself. I think I have hallucinations. It's been happening since my grandpa died. But today, I saw something in you that wasn't there. I don't know if it meant anything but it made me think. I know it's dumb and probably shallow but I'm concerned. I want to help you, Enoch."

Enoch grabbed your hand. "You're the first one to care." The tears kept coming. He wiped his eyes and breathed.

"Why are you so upset?" you asked.

"It's nothing now. It's over."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes I'm sure."

You sat with him in silence, listening to his deep breaths.

"I thought you didn't have a peculiarity," Enoch split the silence.

"What?"

"You said you-"

"Excuse me," Millard walked in, "sorry to interrupt but Miss Peregrine is expecting you both at the table."

"We'd better go," you said, "hold your thought." You went back downstairs with Enoch. You finished the meal. It was pretty quiet and Enoch lightened up. But then came the weirdest part of the night: watching Horace's dreams.