one

it's December 20th. very fucking close to christmas and i have absolutely no one to spend it with. what are the odds.

im alone in my rather large apartment that is extremely lonely. i dont have much for family. none that bother to check up on me anyways.

i decide to check my phone for any messages. there is one text message from my good friend Claire.

"Hey Madison. Just wanted to check up on you and see how your doing. I miss you!! Lets do something tonight?" the message reads.

i hesitate to text back but i decide to anyways.

"hey claire, want to go get coffee in the park later?" i type and send quickly.

she replies back within a minute and says: "yes. i will come get you at 7. see ya then!"

i dont text back but i get somewhat ready. it's a tuesday and i called in sick from work today because i needed a rest day. i work as a barista in a little cafe across town called "The Lighthouse"

when it hits 6:58pm i decide to wait outside for claire. shes always on time. where im always late. i admire her for her timing though as she pulls in exactly as the clock hits 7. i rush to her car since its snowing pretty hard.

"madi i havent seen you in forever!" claire smiles and hugs me.

"ive missed you" i say as i put my hands to the heaters as an attempt to warm up.

she smiles and turns up the radio to some old song i forgot the words to.

we pull in to the coffee shop and hurry inside. i put my coat on the coat hanger and one of the waitresses seats us.

"welcome to Marilyn's, my name is Olivia. what can i get you to drink?" she smiles and says politely.

"i will have the caramel creme latte along with a scone." claire says sweetly and looks at me.

"i will have a black coffee with no add ins and a small oatmeal" i say as nice as i can manage.

Olivia smiles and walks back to the kitchen to address our orders.

Claire works at an upstate job as a modeling teacher. She teaches younger girls how to model and what to expect. the job has made her more patient than i could ever be and sweet as hell.

me on the other hand, im fun but i have standards.

claire asks me simple questions and i respond asking her the same and our coffee arrives all to quickly.

claire is shut off tonight and we dont talk much more. halfway through my oatmeal claire speaks up finally.

"have you found anyone?" she says

"no. im not looking right now anyways. why?" 

"oh. just wondering."

"okay"

and we leave. i insist on paying half even though i can barely afford it.

as she drops me off she doesnt say much. which isnt like her.

"text me tomorrow please" i say

"okay i will."

"goodnight claire it was nice hanging out with you."

she nods and drives away

something weird was up with her. she seemed bipolar tonight. period maybe.

i would have to call her and see if she would want to go to the gym since that was always a stress reliever for both of us.

i got ready for bed and drifted off to sleep.

little did i know, my life would have a drastic change on december 21st.