four: arrival

The journey was almost complete, but I was still shuttering. All that had happened was difficult to process. Once he revealed my mission, Isaac was rather vague on what he wanted me to do. He told me that he would notify me as the mission went on via call or text. For now, it was my job to orient myself in Queens and start at Midtown High School. This was all so new to me, and it wasn't going to get familiar any time soon. Even though I lived nearby, I had only ever been to New York once. My parents were self-proclaimed homebodies. The prospect that I would be living in near proximity to this Spider-boy frightened me enough. Regardless, I didn't have much say in the matter, which was one of the things that frustrated me the most.

     In the meantime, I was blindfolded and on a two-hour commute to the Big Apple. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. Until now, I hadn't uttered a word to the driver.

     "You ever been to New York?" I questioned casually, as though we were in a normal situation. The driver was tense, unsure of whether or not to answer my question.

     "Yes, I come here regularly... for trips," He replied in a raspy, deep voice. I turned the other way to conceal my smile. I, the blindfolded girl, had managed to make my evil chauffeur uncomfortable.

     I grunted, "I've never been. By the looks of the drive here, I'm looking forward to it."

     He snorted at my comment, clearly detecting the irony in my words. Aside from the harsh predicaments, I felt more relaxed than I had been beforehand. The magic of evil camaraderie.

     "Boss said that I can't take your blindfold off since he doesn't want you knowing our location," The mystery man replied apologetically (almost).

     At this point, I considered joking around with him for a while longer, but I realized that this would be pointless. Regardless of my attempt to escape, my family and friends would be in danger. I had to play along with this group's games for their safety. Isaac's words were right when he said that torture doesn't work on the selfless. This threat was much more intimidating than some blows to the head. People's lives were in my hands. I couldn't take this lightly.

     Though my blindfold covered my surroundings, I was able to feel out the setting. I reached outward, being met with a hard panel. That was enough to help me realize that I was in the front seat, most likely to the right of my chauffeur. The leather behind me was stiff and the window beside me was cool.

     I rubbed my tennis shoes together and a thought came to my mind, when was I going to get a change of clothing? And how long would I be here? Cursing out my timidness to ask the driver, I let ideas swirl around my head.

     Thankfully, the thoughts didn't have much time to resonate as I felt a hand caress my ear. I shrunk back unsure of what to do. Before I could analyze the situation, I was blinded by a sheet of white. I pushed my arms in front of my face as rays of sunlight shoot through the gray clouds overhead. Around me were towering skyscrapers, however, they were more sparse than I had suspected they would be. 

     I glanced to the side for the face that would reveal my driver and was stunned. In contrary to Isaac, this man was gorgeous. His chiseled face, fluorescent white smile, and contrasting dark skin tone made him appear to be a model. The man's hair curled perfectly above his head, and his thin and lengthy torso stretched out endlessly.

     "You're gaping," he smirked, "Unfortunately, this is the end. Should I show you the route to your apartment?"

     With the assurance of a nod that I gave him, he proceeded, "You'll have to take the M train to Woodhaven Boulevard station. Then you get off and exit the subway. You'll take a right, follow that street, and the go two more blocks to the left."