(15) Reunited

I pondered going into Luke's room again. I know I wasn't supposed to go in, but something keeps telling me to check on him. I can't stop thinking about how cold it was in his room, and how he was so hunched over like he was in pain. Hey captain obvious, I don't think he has a cold.

I set my nail polish to the side, and I looked at the sloppy paint. I don't normally paint my nails because it's super girly, but I need something to remind me not to bite or fidget with my fingers so much. The way I'm headed, I'll get arthritis at age 20 from messing with them so much lately.

I stood up from my bed, and I stretched my long legs for the first time in about thirty minutes. My toes popped with my back, and I sighed as I walked tiredly to the door. I was a little bit hungry, even though it was like midnight.

Slowly, I navigated my way through the winding hallways until I found Ashton's door. "Hey, Ash," I called, "would you like to get some food?"

He popped his head through the door, and he raised an eyebrow. "It's like midnight," he giggled.

"Yes, but I'm hungry!" I whined. "And the only places I can find in this monstrous castle is my room, Luke's room, and yours."

"Well, I guess I can spare a few hours to eat and walk around," Ashton shrugged, and he walked out of his room. He shut the door, and he gave me a brief hug in greeting.

We made our way to the kitchen, entering the back just to irritate Lill, and I giggled again as Ashton looked at her with admiration. "You like her," I whispered, and Ashton flicked my nose.

"Shut up! She could hear you," he hissed.

Lill showed us to a table, and I convinced her to sit with us again, even though Ashton pleaded for me not to. Honestly, he needs to grow some balls and ask her on a date.

I devoured my ridiculously delicious macaroni and spicy chicken tenders, and Ashton and I said farewell to Lill, who gave Ashton a tight hug. Ashton turned around with a red face, and I laughed very loudly. Ashton quickly covered my mouth with his hand, and I clawed at his long fingers before he finally let go.

"You need to set up a date!" I exclaimed when we exited the kitchen.

"No, no I don't!" Ashton hissed, and I placed my hands on my hips.

"You really like her, and it's so obvious," I rolled my eyes.

"Be that as it may- wait, you don't think she notices, do you?" He panicked.

"I dunno," I shrugged, pushing him further.

"Damnit, Melody, I swear to goodness," he fumed, and I giggled.

"Hey, don't swear!" I mimicked him, and Ashton huffed in annoyance.

"Sometimes I hate you," he frowned. "You're lucky I'm not allowed to kill you."

"Aww," I pouted, and we made our way back to my room. "I could smell the-"

"SHUT UP!" He groaned.

The next day, I woke around noon to a knock on my door, and I groaned loudly in annoyance. "Why the fuck can't I sleep in?" I whined, and I heard a small apology from the other side of my door.

"Luke?" I called from my bed, sitting up slowly.

"Y-yeah," he stuttered. "I-I wanted to apologize for not seeing you because I was sick, and I wanted to know if you wanted to maybe go to brunch?"

"Uh," I started, and I opened the door to see his beautiful blue eyes looking sunken and tired. He gave me a small smile with his pale lips, and I sighed. "Okay, Luke. What do you want to do?"

He shrugged. "I dunno-"

"Then why are you asking me to hang out if you don't know what to do?" I rolled my eyes, and his eyes fell to the ground. "Sorry, I'm still salty about the incident in your room."

"Oh, that," he answered awkwardly. "I'll explain another time," he shook his head.

"Whatever."

"I heard you went to the training room?" He tried to come up with something to do.

"Yeah, I'm practicing to get better at throwing knives," I answered bluntly. Why is he trying to make this fun? I don't want to be here. Even Michael is nicer than my supposed-to-be boyfriend.

"Oh cool," he smiled. "I'm training, too," he tried to keep the conversation up. "Do you want to go train or practice flag?"

"Not really," I replied, and he looked bummed. "I'm really hungry, though," I admitted. Maybe he'll leave me alone after we go eat.

"I could go for a bite myself," he shrugged, and he held out his hand for me to take. I exhaled, and I took it. For a second I took my hand back, and I gaped at him.

"Why are your hands so cold?" I gasped, and he looked at me funny.

"What do you mean?" He asked, and I poked his hand only to feel its warmth.

Am I going crazy?

"But I thought- ...oh never mind," I shook my head. That was weird. I swear the were like ice! Luke shrugged, looking somewhat nervous, and he took my hand gently in his warm hands. I got a shiver, sensing something was really off, and Luke felt my grip tighten into stone.

"Something wrong?" He asked, concerned.

"No, I just have a strange feeling about something," I replied honestly, but I smiled up at his worried face. "But I'm sure it's nothing."

"Yeah, nothing," he laughed nervously. He's really acting weird lately.

We walked into the restaurant