Chapter 3

Adrianna sticks to the corner of the gryffindor common room, noticing everything but not being noticed herself. She slowly shifts her weight forwards, careful not to make any quick movements incase she attracted any unwanted attention. Her emerald eyes slowly scanned the room, taking in all of the details, every stain on the brown carpet, every crease in the red curtains, every chip in the ageing windows, every mark in the scarlet couch. Then she continued to analysis the details of the people in the room.

Her eyes first rested on a small girl, probably a first year. This girl was also looking around the room, analysing everything in awe. The girl must still be in shock even though the sorting was a week ago. Perhaps she is a muggle born, that would explain how her curious young eyes were still scouting the room for more details. The girl looked over to the area where the self proclaimed 'marauders' sat. Her hazel eyes widened when she saw how tall they were, giants compared to the small girl. Adrianna watched as the girl looked at the marauders in admiration. The girls eyes snapped back to the group of first years as Sirius Black felt her gaze and turned his head, his shoulder length black locks swinging in perfection. That was the only word that most of the population of hogwarts would describe Sirius Black, perfection. His grey eyes were enchanting, his olive complexion made his grey eyes stand out even more. His signature smirk made the female population swoon. And his black hair, perfect length for running your fingers through, made girls lust over him more. He used his hair as a curtain so that all that could be seen of his perfect face was his eyes, this is one of his signature moves. Adrianna watched as Sirius Black turned back around, unfazed by the feeling of someone watching him, he was used to it after all.

She continued to watch the rest of the gryffindor population, hey eyes now resting on a boy who looked like he was in his fourth year. He had ginger hair and brown eyes. She noticed the scattering of freckles that covered his nose, the plain curiosity and longing for adventure glistening in his eyes. Adrianna found herself wishing she could want that. Wishing that she could dream of a future like those surrounding her do, she often heard her peers telling each other of their dream jobs, the marauders want to be aurors, lily Evans wants to be a healer, a girl in fifth year wants to be a dragon trainer. Adrianna has no hopes or dreams, she just wants to stay hidden and unnoticed. Sometimes she wishes that she did have aspirations.

Adrianna longs for her bed, but none are going upstairs. She knows that if she moves now she will be noticed. That is why she goes to bed when the majority of the gryffindor common room does, that way she will be in the crowd where no one will notice her stick out, and she won't be left behind as one of the few people in the common room. The last people in the common room are always aware of each other. She did not want that.

When she finally got the chance to go to her room she changed quickly and got into her bed. She always got into bed before her roommates came upstairs, she was pretty sure that they didn't even know that she existed. For all they knew her bed was a spare bed. Adrianna let her thoughts absorb her, she let in the thoughts that she usually tries to limit during the day. The thoughts that somehow made the room feel darker, emptier and colder. Before Adrianna knew she was doing it she had pulled her blanket up to her chest, trying to block out the cold. Goose pimples were prominent on her pale skin.

Her dark thoughts were drowning her, like every other night. Reminding her that she wasn't worth noticing, that this was proved by the hogwarts population. Slowly Adrianna pulled out her razor blade, making as little movement as possible in her desperate attempt to reach the little black box she kept them in. The others weren't in the room yet but it was still her instinct to move slowly in case of drawing attention to herself. She cradled the little box to her chest and drew the curtains closed around her bed. Then she slowly opened the box, picking out one of the blades. She replaced the lid and put the box under her pillow. Slowly she drew the blade across the pale skin of her wrist, somewhere in the back of her mind she recognised that the room was beginning to be filled by the other girls. This wasn't however what she was worrying about, she was instead focused on the pain coming from her wrist, slowly she drew another line with the blade, blood dripping from the wound. The thoughts were beginning to fade, but Adrianna kept slitting her wrist. With each cut she made the thoughts drained more. Soon they stopped, so she stopped slashing her wrist with the razor. Her world was becoming dizzy, blackening. Adrianna welcomed the blackness, the pain free oblivion which she knew would only last until the morning as she finally fainted on her pillow, blood still dripping down her wrist.