Chapter 3

I awake to my mother shaking me.
"Izzy get up your gonna be late!" My mom says in a shrill voice. I jump up and dash to my closet throwing on jeans and a shirt and a hoddie in a few swift movements. I grab a pair of socks and my bad and run down the stairs to where my boots are waiting by the door. I slide them on and dash out the door to where the my mom is waiting in the car. As soon as I'm in she's pressing the petal to the ground and spinning out of the driveway. We arive just as the bus pulls up. Both me and my brother run up the stairs and to our seats.
"Did someone almost muss the bus?" Shawn asks with a smirk on his face.
"Oh shut up and go back to stalking people on Facebook" I say with a grin. Shawn looks back down to his phone with a petty look on his face. I lean back into my seat and start to close my eyes when I hear a buzz coming from my back pocket. Sighing I pull out my phone and see a notification from Facebook. I put in my password and see that the lucas has sent me a friend request. I eagerly click accept and hit the message Icon.
I- hey
L- Hey Izzy
I - what's up?
L- Just on the bus, wbu?
I- Same! What bus do you ride?
L- bus 9, you?
I - Same. Wait. We ride the same bus!

I look down at my phone waiting for a reply when someone sits down beside me. I turn to the side to see a grinning lucas.
"We ride the same bus and we just now found that out?"
"I guess. To be honest I never pay much attention." I say in shy voice. Lucas smile and shakes his head. He pulls out his phone with earbuds and offers me a earbud. I take in a close my eyes and lean back into the seat once again.
Lucas p.o.v
I turn on my music and turn it up. I feel Izzy's head hit my sholder so I look over to see her sound out. She looks so peaceful while sleeping. It's strange to be so close to her. I like it. I always feel the need to protect her when she's close. I can't explain why, I just feel the need to.
Izzy's p.o.v
I wake up to shaking again but this time it's more gentle. Realizing I fell asleep on lucas I sit up, jerking the earbud out of our ears.
"I'm so sorry lucas I didn't mean to fall asleep. " I say in a panic. Lucas looks at me with concerned look in his face.
"Izzy it's ok, I don't mind. You looked like you needed rest." I look down and smile.
"Thanks lucas" I mumble. He smiles and pats my head. We talk until the school comes into view.  Lucas stands up and takes a step back, waving a hand infrot of him.
"Ladies first " he says, a goofy grin spread across his face. I shake my head and step into the aisle. Insted of heading the gym we go the library and find a quite place to talk.

••••••••••••••••••••••••

Lucas pov

The bell for lunch rings and everyone piles out of the class. I wait by the Door until Izzy comes into sight.
"Ready for lunch?" I ask. She nods her head and looks down. I shoot her a questioning look but she just shakes her head. Somthing is wrong but I won't pressure her to tell me. We head off to the crowed cafeteria qnd find a seat at a table. One by one my friends start to sit down.
"Do you want me to go so you can talk to your friends?" Izzy asks.
"No I don't. I sit with my friends at luck and you are my friend. " I say firmly.
Izzy's p.o.v

Friend? He called me his friend. I didn't think he would want to be friends with a nobody like me.
I feel a smile work it's way onto my face. Lucas introduces me to his friends and they all wave hi. Lucas points at the guy infrot of him.
"This is Andy, Sam, Preston, and Jacob" lucas says while moving his finger to point at each person as he said their names. Everyone seems so friendly. They all dig into their food and start a discussion about track. I look around the room,only partially listining to the conversation.
"How about you Izzy? Do you run?" Andy asks.
"Uh. I do a bit but I'm not very good." I mutter.
"You should join the team when track starts. We need more runners."
"IL think I about it" I say to Andy.  It complete honestly I doubt that I will join. That's way to many people for my taste, besides I'm not good at running anyway. Lucas looks over at me and points to my food.
"You need to eat"
"But I'm not hungry "
"Izzy you didn't eat breakfast and you didn't even get a tray yesterday. So will you please eat at least a little bit?"
Lucas asks. I look at his face and I can't say no. I pick up my fork and dig in,taking a big bite of my salad. I turn to lucas who has a look of satisfaction on his face. The guys start talking again and insted of ignoring me they included me. It was a great feeling to acually have friends.
••••••••••••••••••••••
We sat together on the bus. It turns out lucas is the stop before mine. My brother and I walked home in silence, my thoughts filled with lucas. There was somthing about him I couldn't put my finger on, I just wanted to be near him all the time. I felt safe when he was around. When we got home there was a note on the table.
Working late tonight.  Your brother is being picked up by a friend.
As soon as I finished reading the note a car pulled into the driveway, in the driver seat was my mom's friend. I waved as Cole clamored into the back seat with his friend. I dash up the stairs to my room and get ready for a run. Right as I was putting my shoes on my phone chimes. I glance down and see its a message from lucas.
L- Hey what's up?
I- about to go on a run wbu?
L - Same.  Do you want to meet up and run together?
I- sure why not. We could meet at the pirates grill
L- ok! See you in 5
Standing up and looking myself over I head out the door. Once the busy grill comes into view I start to feel slightly nervous. I spot lucas waiting by the door. He waves me over.
"Hey Izzy!"
"Hey lucas"
We stand outside for a few minutes discussing where we are gonna run before we plug in our earbuds and start to run. I reach up and tighten my ponytail keeping my pace the same when I see movement on the other side of me. I look reach out and grab lucas sholder, pointing to the woods beside me and motion for lucas to stay silent. I continue to look for anything moving when lucas taps me on the sholder.
"I'm going to the bathroom " he whispers.
Lucas p.o.v
I step off the road and go a ways away from Izzy who is still looking twords the woods. I turn and face away from Izzy and start to relieve myself when I hear a high pitch scream and a bunch of leaves moving. Whipping my head around I see a man drag Izzy into a van and before I know it I'm spring to her. By the time I reach her the van is already pulling away. I memorize the plate number and dial 911. As soon a the oprater answers I spit out the information in a shaky voice. I feel my knees get week and before I steady myself I'm on the ground crying. I can't help but think this is my fault.