5

Taka's POV

.

.

.

Waaaaaah!!!

The sudden ear-splitting baby wailing from a distance woke me up from a trance.

I slowly lifted my head from the cold, hard floor as I scan my surroundings.

Strangely, no baby was found.

Only a familiar sobbing woman stood in the complete darkness.

I squint my eyes to recognize her face.

Mai?

She turns to face me, tears brimming in her eyes as they pour down her pink-stained cheeks.

"I'm so sorry, Taka."

The woman began to drift away from me.

I immediately held up my hand reaching for her. But she's too far away.

Mai!

Eventually, she turned into dust.

My heart stopped beating as my knees slumped to the floor.

She's gone. And it's all my fault.

I cried out her name, pleading to see her again.

Mai!

Mai!

.

.

.

"Taka!"

I rapidly opened my eyes and gasped for air. I woke up laying on the mattress, startled by the feminine voice that yelled out my name. I blink a couple of times to gather my surroundings. I stare at the woman above me looking at me with a troubled expression. I could feel the beads of sweat streaming down my head to my neck.

"Sorry, Lucy," I heavily panted, wiping off the beads of sweat. "Bad dream."

Lucy didn't respond. She continued to stare at me blankly.

I furrowed my brows by her unspoken words. There was a light fear in her eyes that concerned me.

"Lucy?"

"Taka...who's Mai?"

I instantly frowned. How the hell did she knew about Mai? Have I said her name aloud while I was asleep?

I avoided her question and came up with a lie.

"Mai...is my friend."

Lucy sustain her long gaze with a blank expression.

She immediately ignored my predictable lie, aware that I was avoiding her question.

"Was she someone close to you?"

My frown deepen, blatantly obvious that I wasn't in the mood to discuss about her.

"It's not important."

And with that, I plopped myself onto the pillow and faced the other side of the bed to evade her gaze.