Morbid

Dustin's POV

Every few days, nurses would come in and change the bandages around my neck. Seven and the guys left a few nights ago, and didn't stay outside my room, since it was a school night. It turned out that when I collapsed down by the water, I broke my wrist, so I couldn't use my right hand. It was getting lonely in my hospital room... My mom couldn't come visit me very often because she had to work overtime to pay for the medical bills. My dad was in Ohio for some business thing where people pretty much just get drunk and do karaoke.

My mom came back to tell me that my dad 'couldn't make it'. What that really means is that he doesn't care enough to come, or he's too drunk to realize that I could've died. That's when I realized that I had no idea who took me to the hospital. I'm too heavy for Seven to carry, and she doesn't have telekinesis like El. I noticed that I had a phone next to my bed, and called Mike.

Ring... Ring... Ring...

Hello?

Hey Mike, it's Dustin. Can I talk to Seven?

Yeah, gimme a sec...

There was some rustling and mumbling but then Mike handed her the phone.

H-hello?

Hi, Seven, it's Dustin. You okay?

Yes, Mike's been reading stories to me.

That's cool! Hey, uh... Are any of you guys planning to come to the Hospital? It's getting really lonely here.

Mike's voice came from behind her.

Yeah! We're coming over to see you later. El's coming this time!

Oh, cool! You're coming, right, Seven?

I'm coming, don't worry.  I... I know about your dream. It was my fault, I'm sorry, Dustin.

But... But how can you...?

I heard the phone be dropped on the floor and the noise hurt my ears. Just then, Seven opened the door to my room and sauntered in.

"I can do almost anything."

"But you- you were just..." I sputtered out. Did... Did she just teleport?!

"I told you. Anything."

"Okay... Can you just... Tell me about your powers?" I didn't want to be left alone again, and I wanted to know more about the girl sitting next to me on the mattress. She nodded and smiled. "I can make people see and hear things, and I can affect their brain, like when I made you fall asleep. I can move almost anything, but it's easier to move dead things. They don't struggle as much."

Her smile was almost morbid. She was starting to scare me... The girl I like had probably killed someone to escape the lab... And she could kill anyone else in a heartbeat. Maybe... Maybe she meant nonliving? She interrupted my thoughts. "You're right. I've hurt a lot of people. But I didn't want to. You understand, right Dustin?"

I hummed in response and wrapped my arm around her. "Do you think you're ever gonna come to school with us? Do you know what a school is?" She snuggled up to me, "Yes. I know what it is, but... why would I need one? Is it not too late for me?" We talked for a long time about school. She didn't seem to understand that you need to go to school to... Well, function in the world.

It was at an extreme for Seven. She doesn't know a lot of words, she probably doesnt know how to write, and Mike had to read the stories to her. It was saddening that she barely knew anything, if she went to school, she'd probably be bullied for being in special classes. And we'd have to make a name for her... Seairra. Okay, okay, stop it.

I started to notice when Seven was listening to my thoughts. It made me feel tired but when she stopped, I got a sudden kick of energy. We were silent for a while, and I kept feeling her tapping into my head. It was starting to get a bit unnerving. "Oh uh... Sorry, Dustin. I'll stop." She blushed. It was because I had been thinking about when I walked in on her. Not in the creepy way! I was thinking about her scars...

They were in nearly straight lines, cutting across her stomach. She had short lines going around her shoulders, where you wouldn't be able to see it normally. My mind started to wander to where it was the last time I saw Seven. Her eyes were closed, and she was leaning into my chest. My eyes found their way to her lips and I just stared for a while... Not really thinking of much, somehow.

Sorry for the short chapter! I have a really cool idea for the next one though so hold on to your trucker caps.