Halloween

Phil poked his head out of the bathroom, grinning wide. Dustin motioned to (Y/N) and she turned to look at her twin. Slowly, he stood up straight, opened the door, and sauntered out. From his back, two jet black wings unfolded and flapped a bit. Seven immediately jumped up and hugged him, his wings folding back again. Will, in almost complete shock, pulled her off of him and gawked at his wings. Philip smiled proudly and giggled at how impressed the boys were.

Lucas cautiously got off the floor and traced his fingers along Phil's wings. Dustin, frozen halfway up, stared at the group and took in a deep breath. Clapping and cheering came from the group of kids outside, knocking the boys out of their trance.
After a while, the party pushed their way past the crowd at the back door, and started going door to door.

It was still light out, but the earlier you start, the better the candy you get. So they trailed down the street, taking their time and stopping to trade amongst the herd of other kids following them from a distance.

Parents and kids alike were fascinated by Philip's wings, all thinking they were fake.

(Y/N) moved with stiff, doll-like movements, and kept her head tilted to the side a small bit, increasing her whole creep-factor.

The boys walked with confidence down the center of the road, joking with eachother and playing with their props.

There was an occasional word from the children behind them, maybe a giggle or a snort.

It was a warm Halloween, and Mike tried to get the group to go swimming in the lake, once they had hit almost every house in the neighborhood. Philip and (Y/N) didn't seem to understand what he meant, but the other boys were eager to go.

Mike had a plan sitting in the back of his mind about finding out what happened to Hop.

He and Dustin had tried on multiple occasions to explain to the twins that he was their dad, but they couldn't quite grasp it.

So, after swapping candy and having a light dinner at Dustin's house, the party raced eachother to the east side of the lake. Will won, with Dustin arriving last, and (Y/N) third.

No one had stopped to think that (Y/N) didn't really have anything to swim in. So Phil, after forcing his shirt off over his wings, tossed it to her. Luckily, she had been wearing some exercise shorts under her dress. The boys pointed her towards an old fishing shack, and she went behind it to change.

While she was figuring out how to get her dress off properly, Will brought up a pretty touchy subject.

"What do you think happened to your dad?"

He looked Phil dead in the eyes.

Dustin, Mike, and Lucas shot Will a look that said 'Are you crazy?!'

He swatted his hand at them and looked back up to Philip.

"Who?"

Will facepalmed. "Chief Jim Hopper!"

Mike stepped forward, "He's your dad!"

Leaves crunched behind them, "Who's our dad?"

Lucas groaned, "Hopper!"

(Y/N) stood behind them, with her dress and gloves in one hand, and her mask in the other. She looked broken.

"I don't understand how he could be our father. He was never there."

Dustin turned to face her and started taking off his pack. "He was never where?"

Phil put a hand on his shoulder, "He was never home."

Will realized what he was saying, "That lab was never your home! You were taken from him!"

Mike opened his mouth to speak but Dustin cut him off, "No, Will! They weren't taken! He handed them over... he had no idea that all this would happen." He glanced back and forth from the twins when he breathed, "Wherever he his, whether he's alive or not, he loves you.... Did- did you get any of his letters at the lab?"

Everyone went dead silent, waiting for an answer. Will's face was red.

After a few seconds, Phil put a finger in the air, "We were in a room, separated by a glass wall. I got some, and she got some. We... We never learned to read. That's why we're in those special classes." A worrisome smile grew on (Y/N)'s face. The smile you make when you're trying not to cry and it's all you can do.

Dustin turned back to her and hugged her tight, placing a hand on the back of her neck. He let go slowly after a few seconds. (Y/N)'s face was a little red and her eyes a little glossy, but she smiled. The smile you make when you know you mean something to someone, and they mean something to you.

Mike pushed his lips together and reared back on his heels a little, so everyone stared at him expectedly. "We need to get in Hop's house." Lucas sputtered, "Are you crazy?! What if he's home?"

"Don't be a wuss, Lucas!" Dustin shoved his shoulder.

Philip tilted his head, "But if he's here, why is someone in his car?"

Everyone watched his eyes move slowly across the road behind them.

Will was the first to turn, then everyone else simultaneously.

The Police Cheif's car trailed up the road slowly. It was obvious that the driver wasn't Hopper; the man had curly black hair that stuck out from under his hat and a cleanly shaven face.

Dustin's pack, which he had been holding by one strap this whole time, hit the ground with an alarming thud. He started chasing the truck up the road, but it didn't speed up.

The other boys thought they couldn't just leave him to his own devices, so they dropped their gear and started booking it up to Dustin, with the twins following suit.

Lucas screamed, "What the fuck are you doing?!"

Dustin looked back but kept running after the grizzled old truck, "It's the guy from Mike's house! He tried to take
(Y/N) and Philip!"

Mike yelled, "That son of a bitch!"

Will skidded to a stop, and was passed by the twins, with the truck gaining speed and heading towards Mirkwood. "What are we going to do if we catch-"

He clamped his mouth shut when a large shadow passed over his head. The shadow had two massive limbs on either side, and was soaring towards the truck. This shadow was Philip. As he gained latitude, light shone over the trees and revealed his massive black wings forcing him through the air, sending him 10 more feet with every flap.

The boys, and even (Y/N), stopped dead in their tracks when they saw him. He grew closer and closer to the truck, and the driver took notice. He floored the gas pedal and took off. But so did Philip. He tucked his wings over his arms and under his stomach, like a Peregrine Falcon diving at prey.

But he missed the truck by a long shot.