Ego

The entire decision to write more of this series came from the image above

"Uncle Steve, how much longer is it gonna be?"

"They'll let us know when they let us know, Allie. Just like I told you five minutes ago."

"Well, duh," the girl snickered, "thanks, Captain Obvious."

"Hey," Steve retorted, finally looking over the outdated magazine that he had read at least a dozen times, "let's watch that attitude, alright? I know you're a Barton, but come on, you've gotta lock that down."

"Sorry."

"It's okay. I know that we're all tired, and it's hard to wait, but we're all in the same boat that you are, kiddo." Steve returned to his reading, holding the magazine in one hand while the other gently patted Allie's back as she continued to lay flopped over his legs in exasperation. They had been waiting at the hospital for so many hours that even he had lost count, but the last time that he had been brave enough to ask for an update, Natasha glared at him until he turned and ran back to the lobby.

"Uncle Steve?"

"Yeah, Allie?"

"Are you excited?"

Steve slowly and thoughtfully closed the book and set it on the small table next to his chair, brow furrowed as he thought about the answer he would give the little girl. She was barely eight-years-old now, and despite the intelligence that she had inherited from her parents and a little bit from you, he felt the need to be careful with how he approached her question. "Well, yeah, sure," he nodded with a quiet sigh, "we all are. I'm probably more excited than anyone else that this will be the last time that I get to go through this with your Aunt (Y/N), but yes, I'm excited to have a new member of the family. I know for a fact that your parents are beyond excited more than any of us."

Allie too took an expression that mimicked her uncle, furrowing her brow much as he was, and she knew that if he could see her face, he would be laughing at her attempt. "Do you think..." she began, but paused, taking a shaky breath, "do you think they'll be too busy with a new baby-"

"Allie, don't even go there," Steve warned, albeit softly. He bounced his knees a few times to try to get her attention to make her stand, but when she didn't, he grabbed her waist and sat her up, turning her so that she could sit on his lap to get her full focus. "Your mom and dad are very happy, but let me tell you something. The day that you were born was nothing like this. They were out of their minds with how happy they were to meet you. There's no way that they will ever be too busy for you, sweetheart, I promise. They love you so much, don't ever worry about that, okay?"

"Okay, Uncle Steve."

"Promise me?"

"I promise."