Glass

"So, would anyone like to go first?" Tony asked meekly and uncharacteristically. "I really don't want it to be me for a change."

"That's a first," Sam chided, but his tone was flat; it hurt to hear your usually jovial and upbeat friend lacking that humor that you had relied on so many times; times like this when you couldn't bring yourself to face the reality that was slapping you in the face. Sam was always an anchor that you could cling to, and you felt as if you were about to drown without him. Steve was at your side, but he seemed to be seeking you out for strength, but you really felt as if you had none to offer.

"I know, right?" Tony answered. His gaze had yet to leave the floor, his fingers nervously drumming on his legs as he contemplated what he would say to a group expecting him to give them direction.

"Um," Steve coughed out, his voice uncertain and tight, "we're going back to our place in Brooklyn." Even though he hadn't meant it to be one, it was an impetus for the rest of the group to find enough comfort to find their own voices, and their own answers when no one would provide them instead.

"We're heading to my place in D.C.," Sam offered next.

"Phil and Nick are bringing the kids back tomorrow," Clint joined in, "and we bought some land a few years back that has a nice little farm on it that I plan to renovate. Should keep us pretty busy."

Vision was next, looking to Wanda eagerly as he took her hand; they hadn't discussed their own plans, but he felt safe in making the decision for them. "We should like to remain here, Mr. Stark, if you would allow us to. At least until we can find our definition of normalcy as a family."

"Of course, Viz. Stay as long as you'd like."

"Thank you."

The conversation continued on this way, with each member of the team telling of their plans, some of them only coming together at the last second, as it would be for Scott, Peter, and Bruce, but they were okay with it so long as it took them away from this. Each of them would stay at the compound until they had their arrangements made, but none of them would last there very long. The building held pain and cursed memories that everyone was more than eager to leave behind.

"Pepper and I are heading back to Malibu for a while," Tony offered last, finally looking up and to you with a sadness in his eyes at the idea of how much distance that actually was. The two of you hadn't been more than driving distance from each other in years, and he was finding that he was having a fear response to how far this would be. "I'll fly all of you out at the drop of a hat, just say the word," he told you softly and you could barely hear him from his end of the table, "or we'll come here to visit. If the kids want a weekend away, I'll get them out there and back anytime. Whatever you want, okay?"

"Dad, it's going to be alright. This is the right thing to do. Take some time away with your wife, be just Tony Stark for a while. Iron Man needs a rest."

"Just Tony Stark?" he finally smiled, through a haze of tears on his dark lashes. "Wow, sweetheart, kick me when I'm down."

"Come on, you know that's not what I meant."

"Yeah, I know," he sighed, dropping his exhausted form against the back of his chair, "but you've got a valid point. Iron Man could definitely use a rest. We all could. So, to that end, since it would seem that we're in a unanimous agreement, I'm bringing this meeting to a close. The last team meeting of the Avengers is officially over."

~~~

The next day, when Phil and Nick arrived at the compound to return Allie, Nikolas, and Dodger to their families, they were greeted with open arms and eager welcomes, but it wasn't lost on them that the underlying mood was a somber one. No matter how lovely the dining room had become, set up for a last dinner before everyone left, and no matter how much everyone tried to smile away their pain, the duo knew that the true feeling for this evening was painful reminiscence and lonesomeness before any goodbyes had even been spoken.