Suit Up

Your first day back home at the compound was just like any other; your body healed as fast as it always did and you were back to work, starting with the team meeting and Steve's endless diatribe of events around that world that he was keeping a sharp eye on, followed by groans of complaint that half of the morning was already over with everyone walking out before he was done. Well, not quite everyone. Tony had quickly caught wind of what you and Steve were planning to do with the kids, and he didn't like it one bit; in true fashion, he had no problem with telling you so in no uncertain terms, either.

"I can't believe that I'm taking Steve's side on this. This is a mistake, (Y/N). A mistake so goddamn stupid that I can't understand how it came from my own child. I thought I had passed down at least some of my intelligence."

"Hey, watch it," you snapped, fully offended, "that's uncalled for. Besides, it wasn't my idea. The kids came to me, and I agreed."

"Same difference," Tony huffed. "No matter who came up with this, it's reckless and a terrible idea. They have no business in training. None."

"They need to be able-"

"Don't preach that protection bullshit at me, (Y/N). I came up with that speech, so save your breath."

"Actually," Steve interrupted quietly, his hand up to halt Tony, "I came up with that speech before you were born, so let's give credit where it's due, okay?"

"Fine," Tony relented, "whoever came up with it, I don't really care. You guys are out of your minds to believe that they're ready to even think about training. There's no way that I'll ever sign off on them being a part of the Avengers. Not until they're adults, and maybe not even then."

"Dad, we've already said everything there is to say, and you're the one who told me that we need to be ready. I trust your instincts, and if trusting them means that something could come that could put my kids in danger, you had better believe that I'm going to make them ready to fight back. You're lying if you say that you wouldn't do the same for me."

"I wouldn't."

"Liar."

Tony knew that you were right, but he couldn't get his mind to form the words for his voice to agree. He started to reconsider that maybe he shouldn't have said anything to you in the first place, and that maybe his instincts were wrong. But they rarely were. It wasn't worth just ignoring the alarms that were sounding every time he saw another clue or another sign of the dangers that were out there awaiting you all. He hated this part of himself; the part that was likely born of anxiety, but always proved valid. He hated it because it meant that his family was about to see something that he couldn't even understand how to fight against. "Fine, so since I can't talk you out of this, how are you two going to go about it?"

"I'm throwing them in the deep end," Steve sighed, taking his tablet in hand and pushing the chair back to stand with a heavy shove. "We're taking them out on a mission later today to see who can swim."

~~~

"Oh, you guys! He's adorable!" Wanda squealed, running to the door to meet Natasha and Clint as they arrived with their new son for his first day home from the hospital. She held out her hands expectantly, waiting for his mother to willingly place the infant within them, squealing even more when she finally had him in her hold. "He's so little! It's been so long since we've had a baby here!"

"Wow, Wanda, settle down," Clint laughed, "I didn't know your voice could get that high."

"Mmm, you smell so good," Wanda sighed, her face all but buried in the blankets that surrounded the little one, breathing his scent in deeply as she hummed contently. "I want one."