7

You rested your head on your husband's shoulder. His hand rested on your waist. You wiped away a tear and he pressed a quick kiss to your head, trying to give you some comfort. But it seemed that a mother just couldn't be soothed in this special moment in time.

It seemed like just yesterday that the two of you were at your coronation. Accepting the weighty responsibility at such a young age. Facing an uncertain future together hand in hand.

But now. Now the two of you watched with joy and nostalgia as your eldest son and his wife took the throne. 

September first  1928.

That was going to be another special date in history. 

"You alright, love?" Tom whispered in your ear. You sniffled and nodded.

"He still seems like such a little boy."

"Strange isn't?"

It wasn't that long ago when you were watching your little boy learn how to crawl in the grass along side his uncle's and father also crawling alongside him. You giggled as they all cheered as your son had made it just a few inches from where he previously was.

It seemed like just yesterday you held your three year old mini Tom on your lap trying to explain to his young mind that he was going to have a brother or a sister. You were also trying to figure out a way to tell him first before your husband.

You remembered clearly the food fights that happened and the out bursts of crying when he had gotten stuck high in a tree. You remembered when Tom had come to you saying he thought that your boy had a crush on some little girl. And you also happened to remember the teasing that was brought upon your boy from your husband, his uncle's, and his little sisters.

You remembered it clearly as he had told the two of you who he wanted to marry. The memories of your daughter in law saying she was pregnant. The joy of holding your first grandchild.

All of those things seemed to just happened only yesterday. Everything still fresh in your mind.

You leaned further into Tom, wrapping an arm around him while also holding onto your year old granddaughter. "It really is odd." You mused after a moment. He chuckled, rubbing his hand up and down your arm.

"It feels like only yesterday that we met."

"Oh God," you whispered, "don't remind me of that masquerade madness."

"It wasn't that hectic."

"Obviously you're too old to remember everything that happened." He poked your sides causing you to squeal.

"You're just as old."

"Maybe, but you have more grey hairs."

"I remember everything perfectly fine thank you very much." So he proceeded to tell you everything that he remembered from his point of view with only a few objection from you.

Aye, and that's a wrap.
I hope y'all enjoyed reading this book.
Thank you for reading till the end of the line.
Your friendly neighborhood writer,
Krispycentral 💞