Bad Beginnings

Cas twisted around towards the screeching noise. He could smell the bitter scent of metal and blood mixing in the air. His body stiffened.

"Cas?" The voice was weak, almost to quiet to be heard. He inclined his head in the general direction of the voice, listening for any other suggestion that someone was there. He got his reply when he heard a groan. He took off running in the direction of the sound.

"Dean? Dean, you'll be okay," Cas fell to the ground, pulling Dean's head into his lap. Tears threatened to fall, but he forced them back, for Dean's sake.

"Cas?" Dean's voice was weak. He reached toward Cas' face, but ddidn't have the strength to touch it. Cas pulled Dean's hand to his cheek and held it there. If only I hadn't lost my grace, Cas thought, I could save him.

"Don't," Dean sputtered, as if he could read Cas' mind. Cas smiled, grimly, as he shook his head.

"I have to save you, Dean," he whispered, "I love you."

Dean's face fell, knowing how badly his pain was hurting Cas.

"I'll be alright. I always am."

Cas had begun to pray. Someone, Anyone. If you can hear this, please come. He's... Dying.

Within the moment, a woman appeared. She looked concerned.

"Castiel? I heard your prayer. What happened?"

"Who are you?" Castiel demanded.

"Kali. I was not in Heaven during the War. You should not remember me."

Cas accepted her answer, then drew attention to Dean. Dean had become even more weak, his breathing so shallow his chest barely rose and fell with it. Kali nodded and pressed her fingers against Dean's forehead. His breathing became stronger, but he was still asleep with the recovery.

"Thank you," Cas breathed.

"You love him, don't you?"

"I do."

"He'll be okay," Kali turned to leave. Cas didn't stop her; all of his attention was on Dean. Good, Kali thought, Naomi would be pleased to know this.

(Sorry about the cutoff. I honestly am curious to see who will actually read this. If people read it, no matter how many do, I will continue. Thanks.) (P.S.- If you have any suggestions, let me know. I'm always open for suggestions.)