Hiroshi's Family

An umbrella was held firmly in Hiroshi's grasp, guarding himself and his new fiance from the downpour as they walked along the muddied streets of Edo, the young man's other hand wrapped gently around Fuu's. There was a strange silence between them, and it did not escape the man's notice as he guided his betrothed toward the home he shared with his parents, "You're being rather quiet, Fuu-chan...is everything alright?"

The waitress blinked and looked up at the dark eyes that peered toward her curiously. She could tell he was still concerned over their encounter with Mugen, the roguish jerk who had unwittingly walked in on the proposal. A slight, reassuring smile was cast up toward her intended as she offered a small squeeze to his hand, "I'm fine. Just a bit nervous, I suppose. What if your family doesn't approve?"

A warm smile spread over the features of the samurai's son, "They will. And I already told you, even if they do not I still plan to marry you. My family's blessing would be nice, but their approval is not required."

The mere fact that she had someone who wished to marry her was still a shock to Fuu. Mugen had always said no man would want her. And even though she had been kidnapped several times during her travels with her bodyguards, his words had struck a chord with her. Of course, she knew that even if Mugen had wanted her, he wasn't the sort to marry anyhow. And she was a girl with principles! She wasn't going to let just anyone have her, she would only lay with her husband. Why was she even thinking such things where Mugen was involved? He was a crass, brutal, jackass of a man; and she had no desire to be with him anyway! Maybe she had hoped to one day see him again, if only to be sure he was okay, but now she had a man who could provide for her, who loved her. Of course...the chaotic swordslinger had saved her too many times to keep track of. Still, that had only been out of obligation, and had nothing to do with genuinely caring for the pink clad waitress. A soft sigh slipped past her lips as she glanced at her intended, "Hiroshi-kun?"

A glance was cast her way as they drew continually nearer to his home. He smiled reassuringly, wanting to make it known that she had no reason to be nervous, "What is it, Fuu-chan?"

"Umm...wh-why do you want to...you know...marry me?" The brunette's gaze dropped to stare at her feet as she walked at his side. She wanted to stop moving forward, out of embarrassment at the stupidity of her own inquiry. What kind of woman really worried about things like that? What was important was that someone did want to marry her, she shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, "Gomen...it's a silly question..."

"Does that man have something to do with this?" Hiroshi gripped her hand a bit tighter as he noticed how self conscious his beloved seemed at the moment. He was sure it was that vagrant's fault, after hearing the way the older man had spoken to the waitress. Her lack of response, and the continued aversion of her gaze only confirmed his suspicions, "Fuu-chan, you can't take anything that man says seriously...he clearly doesn't know when he has something wonderful..."

More silence stretched between them as the samurai's son waited for a response. She seemed so full of self doubt now. And this angered Hiroshi as much as any of the disrespect he'd been shown by the criminal at the tea house. Finally the couple arrived at a large estate, in front of which the man stopped his betrothed, and guided her through the front gate. Looking up at last, her gaze did not meet his, but rather lingered on the home. It was beautiful, more elegant than anything she had ever seen.

Over the porch in front of the house hung an awning, which the pair stopped under as the man lowered his umbrella, setting it against the outer wall of the building. He made no effort to lead her inside yet, instead turning her gently to face him. The waitress looked down once more, only to have her chin lifted tenderly by his hand, "Fuu-chan, you asked me why I wish to marry you. I don't know what nonsense this vagrant put in your mind that makes you think any man would want anything less! You are beautiful, kind, generous and gentle. You're hardworking and determined. You're clever and you are resourceful. There's nothing about you not to love, as far as I can see."