Is this Love

Mugen scowled as the couple disappeared into the large house. He was agitated, mostly at the fact that he didn’t know why he was so upset, though the rogue blamed it on the fact that he hadn’t yet learned what Fuu and Hiroshi had been saying about him. Glancing around, he made certain that the area was clear of people, not that he couldn’t handle himself, but he was pretty sure Fuu would be majorly pissed if he decided to kill people here. After taking a brief moment to wonder why he even cared what that ditzy girl thought, he dropped from the tree he had scaled earlier into the yard. Stormy eyes only glanced at the home for a few seconds, he didn’t have time to waste gawking at fancy buildings as he looked for an easy way in. There was a widow open on one side of the abode. How careless of the folks who lived there, it was like inviting trouble. The vagrant smirked as he made his way to the opened window as stealthily as possible.

The former pirate wasn’t exactly big on hiding in the shadows, but he was motivated by the notion that if he got caught in this little bit of espionage Fuu would get the wrong idea. That dumb girl would probably think he was jealous or something, which was definitely not the case! He just wanted to find out whether Fuu and her man had been talking shit about him, that was all! So he crawled through the window, only to hear a gasp from a female servant who had decided to busy herself in the kitchen while her employers dined.

It didn’t take a genius to know that the woman was going to let out a scream, and in a flash Mugen was behind her, twisting the servant’s arm around to pin it behind her back while his other hand cover her mouth. He wasn’t going to get caught because some chick decided he was scary! Leaning in he murmured against her ear, “I ain’t gonna hurt ya. I just wanna know-”

His voice fell flat as he heard a shout from the dining hall that was attached to the kitchen by a narrow, open door. Fortunately, from where he was standing he couldn’t be seen, which gave him the perfect chance to eavesdrop on the dinner conversation as a woman’s voice rang out with indignation, “WHAT? This...this child? This mannerless, plain little thing is to be your wife? I think not!”

Mugen huffed slightly, his grip tightening on the mouth covered by his hand as he continued to restrain the servant. The screeching woman in the other room had given a pretty accurate description of Fuu, actually. A plain child, though mannerless didn’t exactly fit her in the rogue’s opinion...then again, who was he comparing her to? Himself? It surprised the vagrant that he felt a bit irritated at the way Fuu was spoken about, even if it was true. He said the same sorts of things himself all the time, after all, so why should it offend him?

His thoughts drifted off as he tuned back into the conversation. They were discussing whether Fuu was worthy of being Hiroshi’s wife. The woman, whom he had now figured out was the pretty boy’s mother, was finding reason after reason to reject her. Fuu was a common working class girl, a waitress at a teahouse! And worse by far than any of that, her father was a Christian!

Knowing full well that her father’s religious beliefs held little sway over her own, Mugen rolled his eyes at the notion that the sunflower samurai’s Christianity should be the deciding factor. As his storm hued gaze shifted, it landed upon the curve of a silver pot, noticing that Fuu’s reflection showed, though slightly distorted by the curve of the metal. He kept his eyes trained there as he listened to the conversation in the other room.

“You love our son in return, Fuu-chan?” The strong yet gentle voice apparently belonged to Hiroshi’s father. Mugen heard no answer, but the reflection in the pot dipped it’s head in a nod. Something in the vagrant’s stomach seemed to twist. Damn...he should have eaten while he was at the teahouse after all!

The ex-pirate didn’t even realize a slight sneer had curled across his lips. She really loved this pretty boy, huh? He tore his gaze away from the pot as the father spoke once more, though Mugen was really done listening by this point, “If you love him, then you have our blessing.”