Correspondence

Dear Jin and Shino,

It’s been awhile since I’ve written to you, huh? I hope you’re both still doing well. I’ll have to come see your new home soon! But, I won’t be able to travel for a bit, I have an important event to plan, which is one of the reasons for this letter. Another reason is to let you know that I won’t be at my apartment. I’ll still be in Edo though! So any messenger should be able to find me.

There’s so much to say! I suppose I’ll start by telling you what the important event I need to plan is, since you’re probably dying of curiosity! Brace yourselves for some exciting news, you might want to sit down if you aren’t already. I’m getting married! Of course I want you two to be there, which is why I had to write you as soon as possible after becoming engaged.

The next thing you’re probably wondering is who I’m marrying and how it came about. Well, I believe I’ve mentioned in past letters a frequent customer at the tea house where I work, a samurai’s son by the name of Gijouhei Hiroshi. I guess he used to stop in once and a while before I got a job there, then after I started working I remember the owner (oh, you’ll like her! She’s a strong woman with a heart of gold!) mentioning in casual conversation that he had begun to visit more regularly. Of course, being a waitress it’s my job to be friendly and talk to the customers as well as bring them their orders, so naturally, over time, I got to know Hiroshi-kun better. I never guessed that he felt anything more than friendship, though. Not until he suddenly confessed his feelings for me and proposed yesterday! I was startled to say the least, but that’s not the only reason my reply took a few moments.

Of course, who would pick the most memorable day of my life so far to come walking into the tea house where I work and ruin the moment? That big jerk Mugen! I haven’t seen him for four years, and he comes in and starts acting like a complete idiot, just like he used to. Hiroshi-kun got so mad he almost tried to start a fight. Of course, even if he is a huge creep, Mugen is still one of the two best swordsmen I know (Jin being the other of course) and would kill Hiroshi-kun in an actual fight! I couldn’t let that happen, so I put a stop to it. Mugen seemed to be acting strange, though. He was probably just pissed that I spoiled his fun, because he left without even ordering anything.

I did accept Hiroshi-kun’s proposal, of course, somewhere during the chaos. I wasn’t about to let Mugen spoil the moment completely! After I accepted, my new fiance invited me to meet his parents. I can’t say I wasn’t nervous. After all, he comes from a family of samurai that still serves the shogunate loyally. And, well, you know my past. Hiroshi-kun was quick to reassure me, though, and promised to marry me even if his family didn’t approve. Isn’t that just the sweetest, most romantic thing ever?

While his mother didn’t warm up to me right away, and I’m still not sure she has even as I write this, his father seemed to accept me. Even after hearing about my past, and the truth behind the sunflower samurai, he told me that as long as I loved Hiroshi-kun, then we had his blessing. It was nice, to be accepted by such a well respected family, or at least the majority of them. The only part of my story I left a bit out on was Mugen...I really don’t know how they’d take my association with someone like him.