Chapter 7

Deep in her cave of lost treasures, Aella held a small mirror. The golden handle burned cold in her grasp. She trembled as she admired the most valuable treasure to be brought to her mountains of plunder—the Mirror of Theia. And it had been within her reach all these years. If only…

No, she wouldn’t regret. Now was a time for celebration.

After fifteen years, she had a chance. The fates had finally showed her favor. They were giving her the opportunity to right a wrong she’d perpetrated years ago. She could finally rectify her mistake.

She spoke in a commanding voice. “Show me the one who would destroy me.”

Her reflection shimmered as another beautiful face came into view—a woman. Dark hair framed her delicate features; her eyes glimmered—filled with deep secrets and regret. And she was near. The gods were undoubtedly on Aella’s side this day.

She gingerly placed the mirror on a carved, wooden chest. Sprinting to the water’s edge, she dove into the sea. Her legs changed as the sea enveloped them.

She relished the change. She hated playing the part of a human, hated her exile. She was a mermaid. A mythical being with power humans could only dream of. The humans were rodents, soiling and polluting the land everywhere they went. They were lower than the lowest of creatures. But still, they served her purpose.

Aella surfaced at the side of a sleek, oceanic yacht, with a ladder hanging down. She pulled herself out of the water—her mermaid’s tail changing to legs the moment they left the sea. She stepped her bare feet up the rungs and onto the deck.  Her favorite blue dress clung to her wet body. The breeze had a refreshing bite to it.

A large, muscular human stepped up at her approach—his eyes lingering over her body. “Aella! Where did you come from? I thought you’d take your treasure and run.”

“Oh Robert, you know me better than that.”

“Do I?” he asked, frowning at her.

“Of course you do.” She ran her fingertips over his chest as she smiled. “I’m going to need you to stay a while. I have another task for you.”

“Sorry, babe. I’ve already spent too much time here. I’ve got a job to do, and it has nothing to do with looting and treasure hunting. There are a few pirates that need their throats slit.”

Aella added just the right amount of singsong in her voice to gain his attention. “No. You’re not going to kill pirates. You have someone much closer you need to kill.”

His scowl melted away as he drew near her. “I do?”

She turned up the tone of her voice. “Yes, and you will do everything I ask.”

Adoration filled his eyes as he repeated, “Yes, I’ll do everything you ask.” He reached out to touch her face.

She fisted his shirt in her hands and pulled him close. “I know you will.”

And then their lips touched.