Chapter 8

Kyros watched the second hand of the clock twitch its way around the face. Sara’s back was to him, but he could hear her fingers fly over the keyboard of her laptop. Her hand shot out, grabbed the mouse, and made a few clicks. “You know, Kyros, despite being on duty, you don’t have to watch me every second. I’m sure you have other things you’d rather be doing.”

Kyros jumped at her tone of voice. This was the first time she’d spoken harshly to him. Before, she had always used a sickeningly sweet tone. Maybe her true colors were emerging.

“I’m not watching you,” he answered.

“Yes, you are. I can feel your eyes boring into my back.”

He didn’t respond. Xanthus made him swear not to upset her. Keeping silent was the only way to guarantee he wouldn’t say something he would later regret.

Sara turned toward him, and he was taken back. She was livid. “Listen, I have no idea why you don’t like me, but your glares are getting on my nerves. Now I know you’re Xanthus’s best friend, and I’d hoped to win you over by being nice, but it looks like that’s not working.”

“I’ve never said an unkind word to you,” he said.

“You didn’t need to. Your expressions say it all. I would like to know what I did to deserve this animosity.”

Kyros narrowed his eyes and didn’t say a word.

“See what I mean? You’re doing it again.”

“If you want to win me over so badly,” Kyros said, “why don’t you just sing a few lines? Use your mermaid charm, like you did on Xanthus.”

“You think I…?”

Kyros pursed his lips. He knew he should stop talking. He was pushing his luck. She may just decide to take him up on his suggestion, but he couldn’t stop himself from voicing his suspicions. They’d been festering and tormenting him since the moment he’d heard his best friend had married a mermaid.

“I would never do that to Xanthus.”

“Right.”

“I wouldn’t! And even if I wanted to—which I don’t—I couldn’t. My father made him immune to my voice. Besides, the compulsion only works while I’m singing. And you haven’t noticed me singing around here, have you?”

“It only works while you’re singing?”

“Of course.”

“But that’s not right. The power lingers much longer.”

“And how would you know?”

“I know.”

“Right, because you’ve met a mermaid before,” she said sarcastically. “Well, I happen to be a mermaid, and I think you’re full of it.”

Kyros clenched his fists. He’d never before hit a female, but right now, the temptation nearly overwhelmed him. Yeah, and the way Xanthus worshiped Sara, Kyros would probably find himself at the mercy of Triton the moment Xanthus saw a mark on her.

The doorbell rang, and the house fell silent. Kyros listened closely. No one moved, no one spoke, he doubted anyone even breathed—well, except for Sara.

“Isn’t anyone going to get that?” she asked.

Kyros looked at her incredulously.

“What? Thanks to my father, you all speak English now. You are all perfectly capable of answering the door.”

“Oh, forget it.” She moved to step from the room, and Kyros put his arm out and braced it against the doorframe, stopping her. “Sara, one of us needs to answer it.”