Chapter 14

Gretchen stomped up to the front door with the annoying giant on her heels.

 “I’m sorry, but I’m not just going to sit around the house hiding.” Gretchen stopped at the front door and turned to glare up at Kyros. He was returning her glare and then some.

“Gretchen,” he growled, bracing his hand against the door. “Until we find the man trying to kill you, you shouldn’t be putting yourself out there.”

“And what if we never find him? What then?”

“I think you should give it more time before you assume we’re never going to find him.”

“I don’t want to give that creep even one more moment of my life. Listen, I’m sorry if you don’t like it, but I have to see Sara. If you want to come with me, I’d like that. But either way, I’m going with or without you.”

“You would die to see your friend?”

“I would die rather than give up my freedom,” Gretchen clarified. “Now, let me pass.”

She could feel his emotions simmering, the heat of them radiating off his skin. She narrowed her eyes and stared him down.

After a long couple of minutes, his shoulders loosened. “Okay, you can go. But not until you do a few things.”

He dragged her to a chair and sat her down. “Wait here.”

The minutes ticked by. Where in the world did he go? Finally, she could hear him stomping down the stairs. He appeared with an armful of stuff. There was a blonde wig, a wide-brimmed hat, dark sunglasses, a bulky sweater, and various scarves.

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” She chuckled.

Kyros frowned, obviously not appreciating her laughter.

“Oh fine. Give me those,” she said, gathering the bundle in her arms and tromping down the hallway to the bathroom.

A few minutes later, she emerged—a wannabe spy. Or maybe she was a bag lady. It was hard to tell which look she’d achieved.

“There,” Kyros said, satisfied. “Now no one could possibly recognize you.”

“Oh yeah, and no one could possibly suspect I’m wearing a disguise either.”

Kyros’s brows pinched together. “Is that sarcasm?”

“Oh no. Not at all.”

He frowned at her, looking her up and down. “Let’s get this over with.”

They only had to walk from the parking lot, through the hospital, and up the elevator to the third floor. And truly, there were not many people about, but with everyone gawking, it felt like a thousand eyes were on her.

“Why is everyone looking at you?” Kyros whispered.

“Because I’m dressed like an idiot,” she whispered back harshly.

As they approached room 391, they were headed off by a hefty nurse. “Can I help you?”

“Is Xanthus here?” Kyros asked. “I’d like to talk to him for a moment.”

The woman’s eyes kept darting to Gretchen. She could understand why. Who would be wearing a getup like hers?

“Let me see if he’s available.” The nurse slipped through the door, closing it behind her. A moment later, she returned with Xanthus. His face was drawn with concern. Then he saw her. His eyes widened in surprise. Oh yeah, even he could see how ridiculous she looked. The corners of his mouth pinched down, suppressing a smile.