Chapter 10

The moment Aella saw Robert, she knew he’d failed. He stood before her—his shoulders hunched and his face downcast. She nearly ordered him to slit his own throat at that moment, but stopped herself. He might still be of use to her.

“I’m so sorry.” His voice hitched. She frowned at his show of emotion. With Robert’s physique and his military training, he shouldn’t be blubbering. She much preferred the less-enamored Robert—the one who battled pirates and gave her attitude. This was an unfortunate side effect. Her voice may put men under her control, but it also made them emotional, needy, and desperate to please her. Not one of those traits was appealing.

She sauntered up to him and caressed his face. “Robert, you disappoint me.”

“I know. I don’t know how I could have missed. I had her in my sight.”

Aella frowned. “Yet, you did miss.”

“It wasn’t my fault.” He shook his head. “The girl in the wheelchair, she seemed to know what was going to happen. And then those men rushed in, and I couldn’t get in another shot.”

Aella pursed her lips. “She was in a wheelchair?”

He nodded and wiped his nose with his muscled arm.

“What did this girl look like?”

“She had dark hair, slim build—pretty.”

Aella narrowed her eyes.

“Oh, not as beautiful as you.” He reached out.

She slapped his hand away. “Don’t touch me.”

“Forgive me.” He cowered away.

“You’re so pathetic.” She strolled to the railing and looked out over the waters. Closing her eyes, she breathed in the ocean air. She opened her eyes and frowned.

She could feel the human staring longingly at her back. “Tell me,” she said, “why I should let you live.” She spoke without looking at him.

She could hear his quick intake of breath. “There’s a man—rough, big, intimidating. He was asking questions. I’ll bet he could lead me back to her.”

“No, you’ve done enough damage. Find this man and lead him to me. I’ll deal with him myself.”

“Yes. Yes, Aella.”