XII

He gave up

He gave up. With the pounding headache distracting his mind, he mounted his horse and shoved the book into his saddlebag. He didn't want the morning to be a complete waste of his time. He traveled around the southern woods in search of her horse – He couldn't have gotten far.

Moving toward the open meadow, he traveled over the hills and toward a distant forest. For a moment, he considered running away from the familiar village – It would be the easiest option.

To start over.

He kept moving forward, exploring the untouched land until his eyes rested on a wall of wooden fence posts. He trailed around it, noticing that there was no gate. Dismounting his horse, he peeked through the gaps in the wood and saw a large figure resting on the ground – A horse.

Her horse.

Jacks rested on the ground with his front legs displaced – Purposely broken?

Gaston grew suspicious of the area and mounted his horse once again, searching the area for a while longer. There was nothing else – Just a fence entrapping the horse in the middle of nowhere.

Riding back toward the village, he left his horse tied to a post outside of the tavern. He stomped inside and dragged LeFou away by the collar of his shirt, "Excuse me for one moment..." He called to Stanley as Gaston dragged him toward the back, positioning him beside the large chair.

"I found it." He whispered, his voice forming into a growl.

Confusion spread across LeFou's face – What had he found? Hope. Love. Patience, maybe.

"Her horse." LeFou's brow furrowed for a moment as he spoke and his eyes became interested.

"Gaston," He said, his features falling almost a moment later, "She'll leave in an instant."

"Well, I can't let the poor creature remain injured in the woods," Gaston glared at him, a hint of compassion in his stare, "First thing tomorrow, we will travel to fetch him."

He stomped out of the tavern without another word, mounting his horse and searching for Darcy. He traveled to her home, knocking to receive silence on the other end. The stables were empty as well – There was only one other person she could be with.

Luke.

Dismounting his horse, Gaston stomped toward Luke's blacksmith shop. The anger on his brow was noticeable as he banged his fist against the front door, "Monsieur Gaston," Luke said happily, leaning against the door frame, "I wasn't expecting you."

"I need to speak with Miss Darcy," Gaston demanded, placing his hand firmly on the wooden door, adding, "It's urgent."

"I'm afraid she isn't here right now," Luke told him, a smile in his voice, adding, "Although, I wish she were. She is great company."