XVI

He didn't want to lose everything again – And he saw everything in her

The rain was pouring over their heads, crashing over their bodies as they remained pressed together. He watched as the water trailed down her features, sticking the loose strands of her hair against her face. The thunder grew closer, louder, but it didn't affect them. They were deaf to the sound of the harsh storm that surrounded them, and blind to all distractions.

"You're so different," He told her, his words tearing at the walls that protected her heart.

He pulled at her waist, but there was no space between them. His hands moved to cup her face. His thumb gently brushed the loose strands of hair away and he watched her eyes, keeping her body against him as he guided her toward him.

He wanted to close the space completely, but her eyes looked away. She paused, her confidence failing, and she slightly stepped back. Avoiding his eyes, she glanced at the lodge, "We should go inside." He called gently as his eyes followed her, his low voice making her heart leap.

He stood completely still, wanting her to turn back and stand with him again, but she walked away.

Following, he stood beside her on the porch and flashed her a nervous smile.

"We can warm ourselves by the fire," He suggested, moving to unbutton his trousers.

"What are you doing?" She exclaimed immediately, her face flushing pink as her eyes trailed down his figure. She forced her eyes to lock on his, saying, "I believe, I deserved a better warning."

"My apologies," Gaston said to her without hesitating to drop his trousers to the ground. He stepped away from them and inched toward her with a smirk on his lips, saying, "I thought you might enjoy the view."

He watched as her eyes trailed down for a moment, "Well," She spat, forcing herself to focus on ringing the water from her dress, "I don't."

"I see," He hummed, stepping forward his in only his boxers. Her eyes moved up his body, her face flushing pink as she met his daring eyes, "Shall I get you a towel and a change of clothes?" He offered, tilting his head a bit as she stood completely still.

"If you have women's clothes at this lodge, they are probably soiled," She spat, turning back to her dress, saying, "I don't want to wear another woman's dress."

"I'm sure I can find something clean," He told her with a smirk dancing on his lips as he stepped into the lodge. She stepped into the doorway to watch him walk up the steps. She felt uneasy as he moved away from her, leaving her victim to the surrounding darkness – She was comfortable with him.

That's what scared her.

He returned with his large red coat hanging from his fingers and a towel slung over his shoulders, saying with a grin, "I'll close my eyes."