XV

He walked up the stairs and leaned beside his bed, meeting her harsh glare with a smile, teasing, "You're it

He walked up the stairs and leaned beside his bed, meeting her harsh glare with a smile, teasing, "You're it." Helping her to her feet, his eyes trailed her figure as she dusted the front of her dress. She met his eyes and a smile tugged at his lips, "I'm sure you were listening," He said as his eyes fell to look at his lips, saying, "LeFou has been searching for you."

"I heard," She said with a teasing grin on her lips as she watched his eyes fall. She gently stepped toward him, closing the space as her hands moved to rest on his large arms, "I also heard --."

"Oh! And, Gaston!" The door to the lodge swung open suddenly and Gaston immediately pushed Darcy onto his bed, causing the furniture to knock the wall and a picture to crash onto the floor. LeFou snickered without turning to look inside, calling loudly, "Never mind!"

Gaston let out a grunt and glared at the door as it closed once again. Turning to meet Darcy's playful glare, his eyes trailed down to look at the bed she sat on, "It is quite comfortable, isn't it?" He teased her, a hesitant smirk pulling at his lips as she crawled toward the edge. She stood, looking up into his eyes as he spoke again, saying, "I'm sure there is enough space for two if you'd prefer to stay rather than travel through the rain."

"I'm sure you don't like to keep women waiting," Darcy said with narrowed eyes as his hands moved to rest at her hips.

"Would you prefer if we travel back to the village?" He asked her, watching as her eyes slightly fell to look at his lips. When she met his eyes, her face flushed pink, "We should wait for the storm to pass."

"Are you afraid of a little rain?" She asked him with a smirk, saying, "The storm may get worse as the night continues."

"Then you'll just have to stay until morning," He teased, causing her to bite down at her bottom lip.

She took a seat at the edge of his bed, taking his hand in hers and guiding him to sit beside her, "You owe me a story," She said calmly, her eyes locking on his. He seemed to pause, but she flashed him a calming smile, saying, "Tell me about yourself."

There was a long pause before he was willing to speak, "I lost the woman I loved," He forced himself to say, his eyes filling with uncertainty, "There is nothing more to tell."

"Since then, you've loved no one?" Darcy asked him, watching as he fought to tear down the walls that protected his heart.

"I should have died," He growled, his fingers folding into a fist as his eyes looked away. Placing one hand over his, she tilted his chin to face her, "I was given another chance."

He was numb to the feeling of love, but victim to the constant feeling of falling. Every time he shut his eyes, he felt his stomach drop. He could barely blink an eye without flashing back to that terrible night at the castle, "Every time I close my eyes --." He trailed off.

"She rejected me constantly," He growled. He felt his heart cracking and looked up to meet her eyes. Her support seemed to mend the breaks. He huffed, turning away from her and shaking his head, "I can't --."