XXII

He traveled back to the untouched territory beyond the southern meadow, but the fence had been torn to shreds

He traveled back to the untouched territory beyond the southern meadow, but the fence had been torn to shreds. Following the faint trail, there was no sign of her horse. Everywhere he searched, he could feel a pair of eyes watching him. He traveled around the entire area, but found nothing. There was an endless number of dead ends, and her horse was nowhere to be found. 

Returning to his tavern, he couldn't locate the one person he wanted to speak with. LeFou was gone and no one could answer to his whereabouts – Not even Stanley.

"Do you think you can out smart me?" He heard Luke laugh and chugged the remainder of his drink, watching as the man took a seat beside him. Luke fixed a drink but faced the counter as though he weren't speaking with Gaston, "You sent her to the castle."

Gaston lifted another glass to his lips and remained silent.

"Did the little lady forgive you?" Luke asked playfully, mocking the hunter with a humming laugh, saying, "You were in no position to ask for a favor. It must be quite the story, how you managed to convince her to let Darcy in the palace." He placed his glass on the bar, "I'm surprised her majesty allowed Monsieur LeFou to accompany her on the little adventure."

"How do you know where LeFou is?" Gaston asked, suddenly concerned with the man's information.

Luke smirked, staring forward as the hunter watched him, "There are eyes and ears everywhere." He turned his chin, growling, "You obviously didn't understand my threat," He began, demanding, "Stay away from her."

"If it isn't already clear, I don't take orders."

"You just need a little incentive." Luke laughed, saying, "When I'm finished, Darcy will hate the thought of you." His eyes narrowed, and he could tell that the hunter was listening, "She will regret having met you."

There was a long pause, but he made the hunter wait for his words. There was a laugh in his voice, "You can keep LeFou and your entourage of pretty women, but you won't have what's mine. She could never love you."

"Your manipulation won't work," Gaston challenged him, saying, "You're playing my game now."

"Am I?" Luke smiled, placing his drink on the counter, saying playfully, "How intimidating!" He laughed, sitting taller as he spoke, saying, "You should look in the mirror, Gaston. If you really cared for her, you would be protecting her from the man you truly are."

"You don't know what kind of man I am."

"Right," He sighed with a laugh in his voice, saying, "Well, tell me, who could ever learn to truly love you?" His grin was taunting, but he continued, saying, "Belle couldn't."

Gaston stood, pulling Luke to his feet by the collar of his shirt, "Get out of my tavern." He growled, shoving the man away from him. Luke stumbled into the center of the room, making a scene to catch the attention of the men and women at the tavern.