XIX

She stood in the northern woods, paralyzed in fear of the storm that grumbled through the dark sky

She stood in the northern woods, paralyzed in fear of the storm that grumbled through the dark sky. Peering out into the surrounding trees, she stood on numb toes as uncertainty shook her hands.

A pair of eyes burned into her back and she heard his voice calling to her. Turning, Gaston's arms were fastened at his side, his back tied to a nearby tree. He called once more, but looked around in fear as if he couldn't see her. The world was spinning around her, but she took a step forward.

As she began to move, her reflection stood with the cloak draped over its shoulders. Darcy looked down, then noticed a challenging smirk playing on her reflection's face. She was holding a knife, but hesitated to pounce forward. She lodged the dagger into the stomach of the being that stood directly in front of her, but it stood unfazed.

Its mouth didn't move, but she could hear her own voice speaking to her, "It's going to take a lot more than a dagger to get rid of me."

"What are you?" Darcy's arm moved willingly, but she felt forced.

The knife was launched from her hand, and the figure vanished in an instant. The dagger flew toward the tree, landing directly beside Gaston's head.

"I'm you." The voice said from directly behind her.

Gaston's eyes peered up, but he looked right through her. They were filled with fear, and he continued to fight his way from the restraints that held him down. He was stuck, trapped with no way of escaping.

She couldn't speak.

Her arm launched another knife across the space and she felt her heart drop to sit low in her stomach. What was she doing? She watched as the strong man flinched, pulling away from the ropes with all his strength. He called out to her, but she couldn't stop.

"Don't hurt him!" Darcy exclaimed in fear, her heart pounding in her chest.

She turned, facing the mirrored image that stood directly behind her, "I'm not," The pale reflection told her, a smirk hovering over its lips, "You are."

"I'm not." Darcy said, her eyes drifting down to see another knife gripped in her fingers. Without a pause, she turned and launched the knife toward the tree. It landed directly above his head and she watched as he pulled away in attempt to avoid the strike.

Looking down at her hands, they were smeared in blood.

Another knife appeared in her hand and she didn't hesitate, throwing the blade at the tree – It landed beside his left leg.

"To kill you must aim for the heart, not the foot."

Gaston's voice. It echoed through her mind, but his lips hadn't moved. He was still trapped against the tree, using all his strength to separate his arms from the rope that tangled them together.