nine || incipient

incipient : beginning, in an early stage

Georgia stood in front of the floor length mirror, looking herself over. She wore a white dress that went just past the middle of her thighs and was loose on her skin. Her hair was straightened and hair-sprayed, and her makeup was natural. She would be standing in front of hundreds of people to give her commencement speech as the valedictorian. Her robe was dark blue compared to the dark green the guys had to wear, and she had decorated her graduation cap themed with Manchester City and new beginnings. She had walked the halls one last time with her friends the previous day after going through what would happen at the ceremony, and it was emotional.

She had to go pick up Allison, so she grabbed her heels and her keys, along with her robe and cap that she had thrown in the backseat. Her parents promised to be there, but she had no clue where they were that early in the morning. She went upstairs and left the house, her parents car gone from the driveway. I really hope they remember that I graduate today. She turned on the music and sang along as she made her way to Allison's which was halfway to the school from her house. Once she got there, Allison practically ran out of her house, wearing a white dress as well with everything in her hands. She threw most of it in the backseat along with Georgia's then got into the front seat, a huge smile on her face.

"We're graduating today!" Allison gleamed as Georgia started driving towards the school that was another ten minutes away.

"And we've got the district final today." She added on, more excited about playing than graduating. They both sang along loud and off key to the music playing through the car as Georgia drove through downtown Portland to their school. Once she arrived, of course after stopping to grab McDonald's for breakfast, she parked in the closest spot possible to the front of the school and killed the engine.

"You've still got two weeks until you leave. It's not the end of the world, okay?" Allison reassured as they ate so people would not gawk at them for not bringing them any food.

"It's not that I'm worried about, Al. It's the fact that my parents weren't home this morning." She responded, finishing her hashbrowns and getting ready to leave the car.

"They'll be here, GJ. Don't worry. Now come on, let's go graduate!" She said excitedly, opening the passenger door and getting out. Georgia smiled then got out as well, the both of them opening the doors to the backseat and grabbing their caps and gowns before locking her car. Georgia put her gown on as they walked through the parking lot to the front doors of the school. She put on her chords and the medals she had from all four years, then fastened her cap to her head using bobby pins. By the time they got inside, a bunch of seniors were taking pictures, and all of their friends swarmed the two of them for pictures. Of course they obliged, but Georgia wanted to find Antonio so he could take her and Allison's picture. When they could not find him, Allison found Hannah and she took their array of pictures.

"Alright seniors! Get into the order you were instructed. You've got five minutes!" The principal said into a megaphone, making Allison and Georgia part ways until the ceremony was over. She stood behind the class president at the front of the group of seniors, and they all walked through the halls one last time, following the bagpipe players who, thankfully, would not begin to play until they were outside of the school.

The sun was warm and the turf radiated the heat it received from it, and the seniors sat where they were instructed. The class president, the valedictorian, and salutatorian would all speak along with the head of the board and the principal of the school, and they would go through each name of those who are graduating and they will receive their diploma. When everyone was done, they would be congratulated and be allowed to throw their caps in the air as celebration.