nineteen || gambol

gambol : to skip or leap about joyfully

Eleven Months Later

Georgia Jacobson arrived at the locker room with Carli Lloyd and Isobel Christiansen for their final game of the calendar season. They had already played and won Champions League. Georgia still had some decisions to make about her contract, for after this game was over, she would be out of a contract. 

She got ready with the rest of the team as usual, heading to the first cubby next to the locker room door that had her warm ups folded on the top shelf underneath her gloves, her green jersey hanging up, and her shorts folded underneath her socks, shin guards, and cleats sitting on top. She changed into her warm ups and put on her cleats before joining fellow goalkeepers Ellie Roebuck and Marie Hourihan to start getting ready for their game against Chelsea Ladies FC. She was focused and ready to go as they went through their minimal training and stretching in order to get ready for their game, and by the time they got to the locker room, everyone was very excited and full of energy as they changed into their uniforms. Music was blaring through the locker room as they continued to get ready and hype themselves up for their final game of the season. Quite possibly her last game playing for Manchester City.

After receiving a brief pep talk from Coach Cushing and lining up in their starting order to head out to the field, Georgia took in a deep breath and grabbed the girls' hand beside her. They were doing one of their team sponsor games, so a local soccer team got to walk out the team to start the match for a fundraiser. 

The introduction music began to play and the two teams began to walk out of the tunnel towards the fifty-yard line and to the touch line. As they walked out, they heard the announcement that reminded them about what was happening after their game.

"Folks, a reminder that tonight is salute the troops night! If you are currently serving or have served in the army, please join us on the field after the game!" The announcer said as they lined themselves all up at the fifty yard line. The teams were introduced and they all shook hands with the officials and the opposing team. Eventually the starters were out on the field and just waiting for the whistle to blow.

After a few goals but overall a fairly uneventful game, the ladies of Manchester City took away a narrow two-one win over Chelsea, Jacobson letting it a lone penalty-kick towards the end of the first half. They went through and shook hands with the other team as current and past troops from all over the world stepped out onto the field to help commemorate those who have fought and died for their respected countries. To Georgia's knowledge, they have done this every year since the Manchester City established a women's franchise, and it has caught on throughout stadiums all over Europe. The teams clapped for each soldier who stood out on the field as one of the stadium workers with a microphone went through each person, instructing them to say their name, veteran or current, and what they had fought in. There were a lot of American and British soldiers who had fought in World War II, some who were currently serving, and Georgia felt her eyes swell up with tears. She had not heard from Antonio since he left almost a year ago. She was now nineteen years old and has played an entire season of professional soccer with Manchester City. She had some new friends, and Allison had come out to visit during spring break. It had been wonderful to see her in person after a year and a half. She was now starting and playing most of the game at Stanford, and she was only a sophomore. 

They got to more of the currently serving members of the military, who were all British soldiers home for some leave to spend time with their families before completing their four year tours. She clapped for each one along with the rest of her team, and as they neared the end, she felt her tears come to her eyes again. She brought her hand up to her mouth as the last current soldier stepped up to introduce himself.