Rory

I walked in the door of my kitchen to see my mom making a pot of coffee . Again . I laughed "You need more ? " I asked grinning . " Young lady , have you forgotten how you practically dragged me out of Luke's to get away from a certain someone so I had to forfeit my right to being served coffee " lorelai pouted . " I think it's time to move on from that mom " I laughed
"Hey it's a free country " she snapped back
" I know I've heard " I smiled , I loved having banter like that with my mom , we did it all the time without even meaning too and I loved it .
" So get anything in the bookshop , despite already buying up the whole place " she asked .
" I have not bought up the whole place" I laughed with a hint of joking annoyance in my voice .
" So did you run into anyone ? " she asked
" Yeah "
"And who would that be ? "
"Well , Jess " i stuttered . I felt nervous to tell her cause I know she's never really liked Jess all that much .
"Jess , as in Luke's Jess ?"
"Yes what other Jess do we know ? "
" Plenty of other people named Jess that I know " Lorelai said jokingly "Anyways what happened , was it awkward "
" At first it was a little weird , but it was okay I guess " I replied
" Well I'm glad , what did he say "
"Not much , just small talk " I lied , it was small talk but I felt weird about telling her about drinks with Jess tomorrow night .
" Did he say anything else ?" She asked , she could tell I was lying . She knew me too well .
"Well I think we're gonna go for a drink tomorrow , just casual "
"Drinks ?" She asked as a rhetorical question
"Yeah "
"With jess "
"Yes I've already told you this " I said with a tone to my voice .
"That's nice " she sounded like grandma , she wasn't impressed .

But she didn't know Jess like I did .she didn't know how Jess had changed and matured . He wrote a book , he made something of himself , he got me to go back to Yale for goodness sake . He's not the same guy he was when I met him back in high school . Don't get me wrong , i loved that jess , but I knew he had more in him than the whole troublemaker , I'm so misunderstood act . He was smart , funny , down to earth but nobody saw it , including himself .

6.15 pm
" So should we order in " Mom  said excitedly
" Is that even a question , when was the last time we made a home cooked meal , I hate to break it to you but your not quite Gordon Ramsey just yet " I said while smirking , we ordered in all the time cause we really couldn't cook at all . Plus Als pancake world had the BEST Chinese food , no joke .
" Huh , I'm not Gordon Ramsay , that's true but honey you are worse by a mile "
" In your dreams , Gordon wannabe " I laughed .
Suddenly the phone started ringing .
"Well aren't we popular tonight " mom chuckled
I laughed , it was probably just Sookie calling about which sauce she should make for dinner on Sunday .
" Helloo ..  " Lorelai answered the phone
" Oh wow hi ... okay .. yeah she's here , if you want to talk to her .. sure Logan  "
My heart stopped . Logan , I hadn't heard from Logan since we broke up , what could he want from me , especially over the phone .
" Hey Logan " I said feeling a little weird about this whole situation
" Ace " he replied , I didn't know what to say .
" Yeah that's me " I said awkwardly
"So I hear your back  in stars hollow " he asked casually as if this call wasn't completely random and unjustified.
"Yeah , um , I just finished covering the Obama campaign trail and I'm just getting settled in before I look for another job "
"That sounds nice , living the high life " Logan said with a hint of annoyance in his voice . I didn't really know what to reply , he was probably off working in some rich firm getting paid tons while I was here living with my mother at 25 years old .
" Logan why are you calling me " I asked , getting to the point , I didn't want to talk to him after how things ended between us .
" Just wanted to catch up that's all " he lied
"Bullshit " I said , I was sick of him , he couldn't just go and have an affair behind my back and then act as if everything was fine , I wouldn't have it .
" Rory ?! Come on I just wanna talk , look I wanted to go for dinner sometime or something , I miss you , we need to talk "
"No we don't , Logan we ended a long time ago , and I've moved on and I suggest you do too " I hung up and I felt the hot tears roll down my face .

I was angry and upset . I'll admit there was a part of me that missed Logan , but there was a bigger part of me that wanted him out of my life for good . Our relationship had been rocky before I found out he was cheating , he lied to me again and again and would deny it over and over again . It was when I walked into his hotel room in Boston to visit him while he was supposedly on a " business trip " and found him and some girl from the life and death brigade , getting cosy in his suite .He told me again and again that it wasn't what it looked like , but I knew what I saw , and I eventually got it out of him , that he'd been cheating for months , and he still had the nerve to call my mothers house like that . Unbelievable .

" Babe what's the matter " Lorelai  asked in a worried tone as she came and sat next to me on the couch .
"I don't wanna talk about it , he's a douche and that's all "
"Babe I'm sorry I gave you the phone I didn't think " she apologised obviously feeling guilty .
I got up from my spot on the couch and stood up .
"This isn't your fault mom , I'm okay ., I will be anyways " I smiled at her and gave her a hug . Even if I had no one else , my mom is one of the few constant in my life no matter what .