An Overdue Explanation

"Why did you run from your home?"

Zen, Kiki, and Mitsuhide sit around me. Obi sits on the ledge of my balcony, refusing to look in my direction.

I look at the peppermint tea in my hands. Shirayuki had offered it to wake me up before I was bombarded with questions.

"Vela?" Mitsuhide says my name hesitantly.

My grip on my cup tightens, "I was asked to make a certain machine by a very powerful man. He called it the Enervator."

It was probably better to just say it fast.

"It would take any chemical or plant with the potential of being toxic and remove the component that would keep said plant or chemical neutral."

Rip it off like dried honey.

"The process would allow the chemical or plant to reach full toxicity and be a quick way to make airborne toxins. Airborne toxins that would affect more than just the targeted area." I look up at Zen.

"I had already said I dislike senseless slaughter. I refused the request. In Maura no one refuses a request from this man. So I had no choice but to run," I sigh leaning back against the pillows careful not to spill the tea. "I had been thinking of leaving for ages, but I had been too scared. It was a miracle I have not been killed yet. No one just up and leaves Maura."

Not entirely true.

"My guess is that he still saw value in me and let me leave."

I hear Obi scoff.

I stare at his back, "He does not like me much." I take a sip of the tea, "I cannot say I blame him. Or any of you. Mauranians do not have the best record."

I place my cup on my nightstand and fold my hands in my lap.

"Up until now none of you knew I came from a kingdom thirsty for blood," I laugh wryly, "honestly if I were in your position I would have thrown me out by now."

"I'm just that pathetic," the last part I say to myself.

My little spiel is met with silence.

"Why come to Clarines? Why put others in danger, if you claim to hate senseless slaughter?" Obi still doesn't turn.

"Obi," Zen attempts to defuse him.

"I'm sorry, Master, but I feel as her story does not add up. We deserve to know. After all, her coming here did exactly that. Cause senseless slaughter." Now he turns with his eyes blazing.

My eyes flash.

Master. He had said master. Suddenly I'm no longer in the present. I'm back in that room. I'm back in that awful, dark room cowering in front of him. "I'm sorry, Master Keir, I swear it won't happen again."

"Vela. Vela!"

I blink and find the prince's eyes only inches from my own.

I let my eyes drift from Zen to Obi.

I push my covers off and walk unsteadily to where Obi sits on the balcony. He does not move an inch.

"You want to know why I came to Clarines?" my voice is soft. "I was scared," I look up at Obi and tilt my head, "you may not understand that, but I was scared. The people chasing me were the best trackers and killers in the world. They could torture you in ways unimaginable to the human mind."

Obi doesn't show any sign of hearing me.

"I did not have time to think. I just ran and when I could not run any more I stopped. I just so happened to stop at the walls of the Clarines palace. Believe what you want, but I never thought this would happen. When a Mauranian does a job it normally is not so messy."

"Pitiful," my eyes widen at his words, "you put your safety before others. I think that would sum up the mindset of a Mauranian." He looks down at me with narrowed eyes, "Don't you?"

I grit my teeth and jab Obi in the chest with a firm finger, "I may not know what preconceived notions you have of me or how you got them, but I do not appreciate your attitude towards me. If you have a problem with me, instead of pussy-footing around, why not tell me what I have done, yeah?"

Obi's face is void of any expression. He brushes my arm away, "I'm leaving. Call me when you need me, Master."

Without another word he drops down from the balcony and quickly disappears. Like an alley cat. I glance back at the prince. His master. It looks like Zen had tamed him.

My hands ball into fists at the thought. Submitting yourself willingly and calling them master. How degrading.

"Vela," Kiki's voice is careful.

"Ah," I let my hands fall loosely to my sides and turn smiling weakly. "Sorry. I didn't mean to get so carried away."

"He'll come around. Don't worry." I smile at Mitsuhide's words of affirmation. Just a minute ago he wouldn't look me in eye. He had a quick change of heart. Perhaps my words were not wasted after all.

"Speaking of being around," I lean against the balcony railing, "will I be allowed to walk around the castle grounds? Or will I be kept in this room?"

Zen looks surprised then smiles, "Even if we were to confine you to this room, you would find your way out. Though it makes sense why now."

I give a nervous laugh.

"For the time being I'll grant you the freedom to walk around castle grounds until I can discuss this with my consultants."

I smile and bow playfully, "How generous of you, my prince."

Zen sighs, "Don't celebrate too early. I do have a condition. You will have to have an escort at all times."

I groan, "As you wish."

He nods satisfied, "Wait here until I send someone. Kiki, Mitsuhide. Let's go."

They all file out with Zen in the lead.

I sigh and turn to look out at the castle grounds. I spot Shirayuki with a young boy at her side. They seem to be deep in conversation.

Something catches her attention and then I see Obi running towards her. She laughs at something he says.

I narrow my eyes.

He's smiling. Laughing even. His expression is a far cry from the look he had given me minutes earlier.

I back away from the railing and shut the balcony doors. I drop onto my bed. It would seem he was not always threatening and judgemental.

It was just with me. Not because of something I had done but because I was a Mauranian.