Revelations

I couldn't breathe. My father hadn't abandoned me. He had searched for me. He had had me on his mind until his last breath.

I swallow hard.

"Vela?"

Lowen's soft voice brings me back. I look at Lowen standing right in front of me with a worried expression.

I smile, "I'm fine. No need to look so worried."

I stand from the bed, "I think we reached a good stopping point. We should get some rest."

"Vela?"

I look at Obi and shake my head. I needed to process this.

His expression turns grim and he drops his eyes from mine.

I turn off the lamp near the bed.

I turn back to Lowen and see him already getting comfortable in the makeshift bed on the floor. I slip under the covers next to Lowen who quickly falls asleep.

"Obi," I turn to face the bed.

"How did my father die?"

Obi doesn't say anything for a while, "Your father had become a mercenary. I guess he never strayed far from his home's ways."

My hands clench at that, but I know Obi hadn't mean offense.

"I would sometimes go on jobs with him. This particular job he died in had been my fault. We were being chased and had been trying to lose some people in the woods. I tripped and was almost killed, but your father protected me," a long sigh comes from Obi. "It was hard to lose him. He had been my second chance when my parents were killed. Then he was gone, but this time it was my fault."

So he had died protecting someone. He had died a hero.

"Thank you for telling me."

"You're not mad?"

"No, I'm not mad."

In a way I was relieved. I was relieved that my father hadn't abandoned me.

I shift and I feel something brush against my chest. The bark. I still had the bark. If I could somehow get the guards to eat it and we were able to get to the Shriekers...

"Obi, I think I have an idea of how we're going to get out of here."