Memories

I stare at Lowen's back. The new welts were raised and one was colored with blood. I look around and spot the door to the bathroom. I take a rag and dampen it with a bucket of water in the bathroom.

How could anyone do this to a child? He couldn't be more than eleven years old. What had he done to deserve this?

When I leave the bathroom, Lowen sits back at his desk without his shirt back on. He stares at the pieces in front of him.

I walk up behind him slowly, "Hey, Lowen. I'm Vela, though you likely already knew that."

Lowen looks up at me with shadowed eyes. His dark, blue eyes may have had a sparkle to them at one point, but they were dull now.

"May I clean the injury on your back? One of the hits opened a cut," I hold out the rag in my hand.

Lowen merely nods and looks back down at his desk.

I one hand on his bare shoulder and use my other to gently dab the blood away. The whole time Lowen never makes a sound, never flinches, never responds.

"Are you really going to teach me?"

I stop what I'm doing. It was the first time Lowen had spoken. I dab his injury one last time before going back to the bathroom to put the rag up.

I come back out and stop next to Lowen, "I am. I have no other choice if I want to keep you safe."

I pick up a gear, "So, let's start with what you know."

-

The air was suffocating me. The metallic taste and smell of blood was choking me. I looked down and there was blood. Blood was everywhere: on my knees, on my hands, on my face, in my hair, on lips. That wasn't even the worst part.

No, the worst part were the bodies. The bodies littered the floor. The bodies of children, infants, men, women. Their eyes were wide and their mouths agape in an unending scream of terror. They were staring at me; accusing me. They-

I bolt up gasping. My clothes were clinging to my sweating body. My eyes look around wildly.

Lowen lay on the mattress beside me. It had just been a dream. Nothing but a memory.

I lay back down and take slow breaths. Gradually my heart rate slowed. This room was getting to me.

It had only been a dream. Nothing but a memory.