Trust

I look around confused as to how I got in my room. I vaguely remember falling asleep with Gypsy, so how did I get here?

I shake my head. It doesn't matter.

A fresh change of clothes is laid out neatly on my desk once again. I change quickly.

Maybe I could walk around a bit without an escort if I was fast enough.

As soon as my hand touches the doorknob, a voice comes from behind me.

"Where are we off to so early in the morning, Miss?"

I freeze. Miss? He was being polite now? When did that happen?

I slowly turn and fold my arms behind my back, "To find you of course, Obi."

Obi sits on the balcony railing staring at me for a moment longer. He slides off the railing and slowly walks over, "Well I'm right here, Miss, so there's no need to look."

I stare up at Obi stopped in front of me, dumbfounded. This drastic change in temperament towards me made no sense. The last words I said to him annoyed him so it couldn't have been me. Zen maybe?

I search Obi's face for any signs of strain. He has the perfect composure except for slight unease swimming in his eyes.

"Don't hurt yourself trying to be nice. If you feel a certain way about me, I'd rather you show it than hide it, yeah?"

The expression on Obi's face is one of surprise. Apparently he hadn't expected that from me.

"Shirayuki said that we could help her out in the garden if you are still interested," Obi doesn't say anything about what I just said.

"I guess that makes sense why you're in a better mood than usual. You were with Shirayuki," I turn and open the door. "Well no sense in making her wait."

-

"So what do you know about herbs?"

I follow Shirayuki into the palace greenhouse, "Well, um...I know aloe vera helps with burns and ginger can help with sickness, but that's about it." My knowledge of herbs was miserable, but I could learn.

She nods, "Well that's a good start. This herb you're about to learn about is not a common one. In fact we received it as a gift only a few days ago. It's a tropical plant with strong sedative properties."

Sedative? Interesting.

"I don't believe I've been in this greenhouse before, Miss."

I glance back at Obi looking around.

"You wouldn't have been. This one is newer. It's meant for the plants who need a more tropical climate," the little boy who had been leading us finally speaks up.

"Is that so, Half Pint?"

Half Pint? I glance at the little boy to see it has no effect on him. Apparently he was used to it.

We stop in front of a tree just taller than me. The soil around it was fresh, like it had just been planted.

The red orange flowers of the tree were vibrant. I tap on a petal. It felt like silk.

Shirayuki hands me a small bark scraper. As soon as the item is in my hands I see Obi go rigid.

I could practically see the thoughts going through his head. The trained killer has a weapon in her hand and is close enough to hurt Shirayuki.

"The parts used to make the sedative are the roots and the bark. I figure since you're the one learning, I can guide you in properly getting bark from the tree." Shirayuki holds a small, shallow basket in hand.

I look at the bark scraper in my own hand and sigh. This escort of mine was a real pain.

I hold the bark scraper to the redhead handle out, "How about you show me how to do it first, then I'll follow your example?"

My words are for Shirayuki, but my eyes are on Obi.

Trust me.

Shirayuki takes the scraper from my hand, "If that's how you want it."

I take the basket from her, "It's exactly how I want it."

Obi stares at me, slowly understanding what I had done. Hopefully he had given me a little bit of trust.

I turn my attention away from him and back to Shirayuki, who is explaining how to get the right amount of bark.

As time passes and the mound of bark in the basket I hold grows an idea forms in my mind.

I quickly pocket a few pieces of bark. I don't think anyone notices until I catch the House Cat's eyes. They're questioning, but he doesn't say anything.

Maybe I had earned some trust.