Petrification and Accusations

AN: Hello readers! The chapter after this will most likely be the full moon chapter with Remus! I'm so excited! I might have to split it in to two chapters! Don't forget to vote and comment about ANYTHING! I will most definitely respond!

Anna saw Hermione flinch and put an arm around the young girl, not showing any fear from Draco's words. She knew if she acknowledged them or signs of believing them for a second, all of the muggle-borns wouldn't be able to sleep at night. So she ignored them completely, instead opting to look Hermione over for any injuries, just in case. The only thing she saw was the poor girl's bloodstained socks from the puddle on the floor. She opened her mouth to order someone to get Albus when Argus Filch came upon the scene and he was horrified and angry, "My cat! My cat! What's happened to Mrs. Norris?"
Filch's gaze settled on Harry and he flew into a rage of a accusations. Anna immediately stepped up to defend her nephew, "Argus! I am ashamed of you! Keep in mind you are accusing a twelve year old boy! He is innocent, as are Ron and Hermione." Argus was one of the few members of the Hogwarts staff Anna didn't get along with, ever. He didn't like the marauders any more than he liked the Weasley twins, which would be understandable if he didn't hate everyone anyways. Why would someone who dislikes children decide to work at a school? She decided she might ask Severus that question later.
At this moment, the ready of the staff arrived on the scene. Dumbledore told Argus, the trio, and Anna to come with them. Lockhart offered his office for the interrogation, since it was the closest. The crowd let them pass, but to make sure no trouble happened while they were gone, she addressed the students, "Attention Perfects, Head Boys, and Head Girls. You are to ensure that all members if your house make it safely to their dorms. No one is to leave there until further notice. This precaution is for your safety, I would advise you follow it. Oh, and another two days of detention, Mr. Malfoy, for your outburst earlier. Dismissed!" Minerva nodded her thanks to Anna before putting a gentle hand on her shoulder and guiding her to Gilderoy's classroom.
The professors were all gathered around the cat, attempting to figure out what exactly had happened to Mrs. Norris. This would have been a whole lot easier if Lockhart wasn't making comments and suggestions every two seconds. He seemed particularly keen to cut off anything she or Severus tried to say, most likely realizing they were his 'biggest competition' for the lime light."
She glanced at Filch, who she almost felt sorry for, despite all he had done. He was a mess without Mrs. Norris. Finally, Anna cleared her throat stopping Lockhart and causing everyone to look to her, "If I may interrupt your observations,Mr. Lockhart, Mrs. Norris isn't dead." Argus looked at her with hope, "Not dead? Then why's she all stiff and f-f-frozen?" Albus answered for her, "She's been petrified." Anna fought the impulse to point her want at his throat when he proclaimed to have already known this. Dumbledore continued, "but how I can't say..."
Argus immediately pointed his grimy finger at Harry, "Ask him! He did it! He did it!" He went on to explain that he caught Harry 'reading his leader' that identified him as a squib and that the writing in the wall proved it. Snape glanced at Anna from where he stood in the shadows and knew he couldn't just stand there, "If I may speak, headmaster. Potter and his friends may have simply been at the wrong place at the wrong time. But we do have a set of suspicious circumstances here. Why was he in the upstairs corridor at all? Why wasn't he at the Halloween feast?"
Anna immediately spoke up, "He was with me, headmaster. We were all attending Sir Nicholas's Party. He and his guests can vouch for Harry and his friends." Severus raised an eyebrow and Anna knew what he was doing. She knew he knew she had all of the answers. By asking these questions it made her case even more convincing. "Why not join the feast afterward? Why go up to that corridor?" To Anna's surprise, Hermione answered, "Well professor, we had to leave because The Headless Hunt had rather rudely crashed Nick's party and things were getting out of hand. We left and, because we were rather tired, we made are way here."
Snape raised an eyebrow, "Without supper, Miss Granger?" Ron answered this time, finally getting up his courage, "Professor Evans brought sandwiches from the kitchens and Hermione came prepared with a bag of crisps. We didn't need supper." Snape nodded, satisfied. Filch protested, "They're lying!" The headmaster tutted, "Innocent until proven guilty, Argus! Also, I would watch what you say. By claiming they are liars you are also accusing Professor Evans, whom I'd trust with my life. As would many other members of the staff, I'm sure." Filch sputtered, "My cat has been petrified! I want to see some punishment!"
Anna cut in, an edge to her voice, "And you will, when we are sure we have the right culprit. You can't just punish somebody without solid evidence! I assure you, Mr. Filch, your cat can be cured." Albus nodded, "Professor Sprout recently manage to procure some mandrakes. As soon as hey have reached their full size, I will have a potion made that will revive Mrs. Norris." Lockhart wasted no time in volunteering, "I'll make it! I must've done it a hundred times. I could whip up a Mandrake Restorative Draught in my sleep-" Professor Snape cut him off, sending him an icy glare, "Excuse me, but I believe I am the potions master at this school."
Anna nodded, "Well, if that is all. Let us all head to bed. I don't know about you, but I for one am exhausted. Everyone nodded and went there separate ways. The witch gave Snape a look that told him to wait for her while she talked to her nephew.
She kneeled to look at the kids and hugged them all tightly, "I want all of you to get to your house as quickly as possible, no detours." Hermione looked at the professor, "Is it really going to go after muggle-borns like Malfoy said?" Anna shrugged, "We can't be sure, but stay close." Harry tugged on her sleeve when she tried to leave and her eyes met Harry's, which were wide and concerned, "What about you?" She gently moved his hand from his sleeve, "I'm walking with Severus, don't worry. Now, off you pop!" The children nodded and quickly head back.
She came around the corner and met Severus, "I gotta admit, Sev, I was surprised that you helped Harry. I thought you disliked him." Severus shrugged, "I do, but you probably would've had my head if I had tried to frame your nephew of petrifying a cat and hating muggle-borns." She smirked, "Oh, I most definitely would. Just ask the Headless Hunt!" He chuckled and mock chastised her, "Didn't your mother ever tell you not to disrespect the dead?" She smiled and a mischievous gleam was in her eye as she approached the door to her chambers. She opened it and winked at her best friend, "Yeah, but she never told me what to do when the dead disrespected me." Severus shook his head and headed to his own room.