Chapter 4: Not so awkward after all

Maggie POV

And there are the Danvers sisters. To go on our first lunch. Post-arrest. I'm screwed. She'll kill me. I know it, Danvers knows it, the neighbor's dog knows it. Why did I accept to do this? No, wait, it was my idea. I told Danvers it was necessary to get along with her family. I seriously need to reconsider my life choices. Ok, they turned to look at me, no escaping now. "Danvers, lil' Danvers, ready to go?" Lil' Danvers furrows her eyebrows. Oh no, here comes the homicide.

"Go where?" Ok, no killing yet. Finally some good news. But did she seriously forget? She never forgets about food.

"To lunch, remember?" And judging by the look of surprise on her face she totally forgot. Well, that's unheard of. I'm sure Danvers once said it was one of the signs of the apocalypse.

"Ohhhhh. Was that today?" In case I needed any other confirmation. Whoomp, there it is. I turn to look at Danvers, who looks confused for a second before apparently realizing something. She gives me the 'Lena' face. Oh, if it's because of her crush, it does seem understandable. Ok, she still hasn't forgotten about food. The world isn't on the verge of apocalypse yet.

"Your invitation to Lena was for today, wasn't it?"

"Yeah?" She looks ashamed by that, so she didn't do it on purpose. Ok, maybe I do have a shot at forgiveness from her. She seemed to also look forward to this lunch. Phew. But she also seems sad to have to cancel to Lena, so I blurt out the first thing I think.

"Why don't you invite her?" Fuck. I didn't mean to say that. Maybe Danvers was right, when she puts the kicked puppy face, people actually do crazy things to make her happy again. And I didn't even ask my girlfriend beforehand, that's plain lack of partner communication from my part. But the good thing is lil' Danvers is now beaming like a a Christmas tree. And her sister's happiness always makes her happy, right?

"Really?"

"If it's ok with your sister." I turn to look at her with pleading eyes and see lil' Danvers do the same in my peripheral vision. Yup, she definitely can't say no. Nice teamwork.

"Ok with me? Duh." Ha, knew it. She might look badass, but she's a softie for the people she loves. Wait, love is a strong word. We haven't even exchanged that one yet. For the people she cares about. Mhm, sounds better. Lil' Danvers takes out her phone and presses number 2 on speed dial. Wow, number 2? She got it bad. That's over her boyfriend, because I know her sister is 1.

"Put her on speaker." Danvers commands. Wow, I knew she was nosy, but I didn't think she'd be so blunt about it. Special agent training my ass.

"Why?"

"You'll talk about your conversation with her one way or another, saves time." The little sister nods to herself, seemingly ok with that explanation. I know she's just a big shipper of Supercorp—as I call it in my head—and wants to internally fangirl over them. Good thing Kryptonians can't read minds. Although who am I kidding? I'm a big shipper too, Danvers got me into it. We even have a couple bets on them.

"Kara!" And wow, Lena seems to have it bad too. She didn't even bother to hide the obvious happiness from her voice. Now I ship them even more badly. I know what Danvers meant when she said their mutual crush could be smelled from miles away at Noonan's the other night.

"Hey, so about our lunch for today..."

"Let me guess, Snapper's on your back for another article and you have to cancel?" She says as if this was a regular occurrence. Now that I think about it, it probably is. Between adapting to being a rookie reporter and her Super duties, she must cancel a hell of a lot. If Lena puts up with that without even knowing about the Super stuff, she might deserve the marvels lil' Danvers always say about her. Although I still think she says it because of the whole crush thing.