35 Guardian and shield

Hello, dear readers. It's the day of the North American Eclipse and I wish I could be there. If you can, catch one of the most spectacular natural events you will see in your lifetime (be careful with your eyes though and don't look directly at the sun.)🌞🌑

(Correction: lunar eclipse today, solar eclipse in 2weeks: my bad! thx to @sapphiremoon13 for pointing this out. Hold that thought.

I'll be posting then too; get your toothbrush ready for extreme sweetness and fluff. But I digress)

Now, on with our two guys.

Defences and barriers can keep you safe. But they can also keep people out. Is Mitch ready to let Scott in?

Mitch settled into his seat and fastened the seatbelt. He usually didn't enjoy flying. Except this time Scott was next to him, fussing over his headphones and wriggling, apparently unable to find a comfortable position for his long frame.

"Are you done?" he asked, amused by Scott's inability to sit still.

"No, not quite. These seats are not meant for tall people."

"I picked the extra legroom seats."

"I appreciate that, but – oof – it's still less than I need."

"Well, it's all you're gonna get. For now anyway."

Mitch folded his hands and closed his eyes. Under his calm exterior, his pulse skipped as he tried to compute the fact that he was sharing an armrest with Scott.

Long before, they had always pulled up the armrest as soon as the seatbelt sign went off to make one shared space. He'd wake up to Scott's soft puffs of breath, still wearing his headphones as he'd drifted off to sleep. Scott would wrap a long arm around his shoulders and make sure he was comfortable. He dripped lavender oil on a tissue to calm his nerves, and let him drink champagne even though it made him first a bit hyper and then a bit grumpy when he woke.

And now here they sat, shoulder to shoulder. Mitch smiled at the redheaded flight attendant without really seeing him, still lost in memories. This was so much better than flying alone, pretending everything was fine, counting stripes on the patterned velour headrest to keep from screaming or worse, crying.

"Sorry, sorry, I'm hogging all the space."

Mitch glanced at Scott's apologetic face.

I cannot express just how okay I am with that.

"You are, rather, but it's all right."

"Right." Scott relaxed, leaving their upper arms in contact.

Mitch had made sure to sit on the left so that his left hand was free. He fiddled with the belt buckle and pretended to watch the safety demonstration. He could smell Scott's cologne. The mix of lemon and musk was invigorated by a hint of flowers. He sat very upright, holding the urge to follow the scent to its source.

"He is rather cute, isn't he?" Scott nudged him out of his head.

"Who is?"

"Nice try. I see you checking him out." Scott nodded towards the flight attendant, who was putting the lifejacket on without disturbing a single red hair.

Mitch wanted to laugh, but he kept his cool. "And why would I do that, when I have you right next to me with no chance of escape?" He sighed. "How many fan boys and girls would give a kidney to be in my place."

Scott's slight blush was adorable. "Hey, I'm happy to be here too." He lowered his voice and studied his hands.

Mitch was very glad that the redhead walked by just then, checking seatbelts were fastened.