38 Flirting with forgiveness

Hello hello! Happy Bank Holiday to the Brits, the sun is even out- amazing!!

Happy Monday to everyone else, welcome to your weekly dose of slo-mo Scömìche.

Mitch edges closer to Scott, his sunshine. But the closer he gets, the harder it is to hide.

Scott was almost sorry they had a table in the back of the upscale restaurant. He followed Mitch as he made a fabulous entrance, strutting ahead in a cloud of plum purple sheepskin and turning heads.

"They're all looking at you," he said once they were seated.

"Really? Maybe they're looking at you, Mr. tall and handsome." Mitch's smile lit up his face, and Scott responded.

"Nope, definitely you. Would you like champagne?"

Mitch twinkled. "I thought you'd never ask. Are we celebrating something?"

Scott reached over and patted his hand. "Yeah. I can't believe you came to see me but I'm happy you did."

The waiter took their order and returned with an ice bucket. He poured two glasses of Veuve and left them alone.

Scott raised his glass. A wave of happiness caught him unawares. "To brighter futures. To you and me."

Mitch's eyes were bright as they clinked glasses. "To us. Thank you for a fabulous day."

"Even the snow tubing?"

"Well, the hot chocolate was lovely but don't expect me to do that again. The spa was more my style."

"Actually my back feels great after the massage. I can skip the chiropractor this month."

The evening flew by. Scott limited himself to one glass of champagne and wine, while Mitch finished each bottle. He was giggly by the time they left and Scott offered his arm to lean on.

Outside 542, Mitch threw his arms around Scott and looked up at him with heavy-lidded eyes.

"Don't wanna say goodnight yet," he said, biting his lip.

Scott hesitated, his arms full of plum fur and Mitch's dark gaze holding him captive. He inhaled spicy floral scent, full of intrigue.

"We have another day of fun things tomorrow," he said. "You should get some sleep."

"Come cuddle with me? Please." He dragged out the last word.

Scott saw Mitch's eyes flick to his lips. He didn't want to spoil a perfect day, and this offer was loaded.

"I've had the most fabulous time tonight and I think we should rest now."

Mitch's pout hurt Scott's heart, but he pressed a kiss to his forehead and short fringe of dark hair and stepped back. He wanted so many things that he really should not want.

Mitch mustered a small smile and nodded. "Me too. Goodnight Scotty, sleep tight." He went into his room without looking back.

Scott shut his door and leaned against it. Scotty. His heart fizzed with unexpected joy. He got ready for bed knowing he'd done the right thing, though it killed him to break apart from Mitch. Better this than endless regrets.

***

Mitch's head spun, but he managed to put away his clothes and remove his makeup before getting into bed. He got up again and drank water because Scott was right, he didn't want to be moody and hungover when tomorrow promised more adventure. Then he grabbed the bear plushy and curled up with it under the covers. It wasn't the same. He threw it across the room and buried his face in the pillow.