Fairytale

FAIRYTALE

Eleanor is admiring the cheerleading outfit on her mirror, again. She can't stop doing, even thought it's not exactly her dream, it's more Betty's actually, Jason always pushed her to try out, but she never got the courage. Until now.

She hears arguing in the room next to hers, so she quickly walks there, already knowing what's she's probably going to find. It's always the same kind of arguings in this house. As soons as she gets there, she finds Alice with her arms crossed while looking at Betty's clothes with disgust.

"What is going on?" Ellie rolls her eyes.

The blonde woman turns around, and she's horrified at the sight. "You too? It's over! You both take that off now."

"No." Betty shakes her head, refusing.

"What did you say to me?" 

"She said no, Mom." Eleanor steps forward, calling her attention back. "This is actually something Betty always wanted and she's happy. Doesn't that matter to you?"

"Of course it matters but –."

"I do everything for everyone! Everything to be perfect. The perfect daughter, the perfect sister, the perfect student..." Betty exclaims. "Can't I do this one thing just for me?"

"Wait." Alice tries.

"Get out of my way," Betty storms off, and grabs her sister's arms on her way out, only looking back to give her Mom one last warning. "we're going to buy a dress. Because we actually have someone to go with. Archie and Veronica."

"Hermione Lodge's daughter?" 

"She's really cool." Eleanor tells her. "And I know you said not everyone is as good as I am but she actually is."

"You think she's going to be your friend? Let me tell you something." Alice points her finger at her daughters, while trying to knock some sense into them. And maybe, yes, maybe they should should listen to their mother, because mothers know better. "Girls like Cheryl and Veronica, they don't like girls like us."

"We don't wanna hear it, Mom!" Betty stops her. "We're going."

. . .

It's finally the back-to-school dance's day. It almost feels like a nice evening, it feels like nothing can go wrong, at least that's how Ellie feels, but they should know by now that not everything goes as they think it will. That's just how life works.

"It's not the met ball, but it's nice." Veronica smiles.

"When do you have to let Coach know about football?" Betty asks, her eyes on  Archie.

"This weekend."

"Guys, can't we just liberate ourselves from the tire dichtomy of jock, artist? Can't we, in this post James Franco world be all things at once?" Veronica wonders.

"I've been working on it." Archie confesses.

"Work faster." The dark-haired girl replies with a smile. "I'm getting punch." She mouths something to Betty though, before walking away.

"It's about following your heart, right?" Betty guesses. "Music or football?"

"Will you guys give me one minute?" Archie asks them, and he has this smile that really hard to say no to. "I promise when I get back, I'll be a much better date, ok? I have a plan." And just like that, he runs off into the crowd.

Kevin approaches them, right away. "You won't believe who just propositioned me in the bathroom."

"Was it Archie?" Ellie jokes, and she gives this chuckle before continuing. "Cause he just ran off."