CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT: Be My Anchor

THE LAST CHAPTER

(READ FINAL NOTES - END OF THE CHAPTER)

Eleanor walked inside her house after leaving the park, where she had met with her best friend, and that was also the moment she regret even more not to have yelled at Jughead not to leave her alone, she couldn't bare to face all that drama, not a...

Eleanor walked inside her house after leaving the park, where she had met with her best friend, and that was also the moment she regret even more not to have yelled at Jughead not to leave her alone, she couldn't bare to face all that drama, not again.

"Oh, look who finally showed up." Alice had her arms crossed, "The other 'Serpent Slut' doomed to go to hell. Do you also say nothing happen at school today?"

Ellie gestured to Betty, "Did you tell her?"

"It was me. I'm so sorry, Ellie." Polly admited.

"Let your sister be!" The woman was already standing, "I warned you girls, specially you Betty Cooper, about publishing that article. And you, Eleanor Cooper about FP and yet you went behind my back to visit him! Why do you two never listen to me?"

"Because I'm sick of all the secrets and the lies in this town and in this family." Betty banged her hand on the balcony, "I'd much rather take some heat for being honest than do what you're doing. Living in fear of the truth."

"I'm scared for you, not of the truth." Alice corrected, "You came to me, Elizabeth, your very self, worrying about Eleanor and then you go and do this. Didn't it make it worse?!"

"What worse?" Ellie gestured, confused, "What are you talking about?"

"You not eating, talking, smiling." Her Mom looked at her, "Betty thought you were disappearing, which you were – you are. So hear me, one last time. You're not getting anywhere close to that police station nor are you publishing more articles. Both of you!"

"You're not afraid of the truth? Really? Let's go then." Betty defied her, "You talk about big game about liking Jughead, but wouldn't you be much happier if we weren't together and Ellie's best friend since four years old?"

Alice let out a muffled laugh, gesturing with her head.

"Not new, actually." Ellie breathed.

"Question number two, when you invited FP over to dinner, he said that you and Dad got in a huge fight when you were in high school, at Homecoming. What was that about?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." Their Mom denied.

"Really? Are you sure you want to keep another secret?" Eleanor shook her head, "Wasn't the previous one proof of what it does? It almost destroyed our family!"

"Is not of your damn business!" Alice had tears in her eyes when she shouted, "None of you!"

Betty approached their Mom, "Ellie is right, you know. Dad was keeping a secret that almost destroyed us. How many are you keeping?"