Bonus Chapter | Captain Underpants

Freddi

1 year after Meredith's death.

"Hey babe, the house is technically still in my name right?" I asked, looking up from the bowl of red velvet cake mix that I was stirring. Well, technically it was cookie dough. I had lowered the measurements of the wet ingredients and added white chocolate chips to make the most delicious cookies.

"Um, yeah. Until the bank does whatever the hell they do and buys it back," Axel answered, walking out of the living room. "Why?" Axel asked, coming to wrap his arms around my waist, nuzzling the skin behind my ear.

"Well I was just wondering, can we sign it over to Heather's family?" I asked, shrugging slightly as my skin tingled beneath his lips.

"Really?" Axel asked, pulling back from me slightly.

"Well... yeah. There are three bedrooms, that's more than enough space for the three of them. Plus, I can't bear to think that they're just sitting in some crappy hotel. I mean, their house just burned down and they refuse to live with us," I said, turning around to point my red covered rubber spatula at him.

"I'd have to check, and it'd be a lot of paperwork, then, of course, you'd have to clean everything out. You could just keep it in your name for now and let them move in once you have your stuff."

"Great," I said with a smile on my face, watching as one spread across Axel's face as well.

"I love red velvet," Axel murmured, swiping his finger across the spatula and getting a finger full of cookie batter.

"Stop! You're gonna make me a widow at seventeen of you die of salmonella!" I pouted, though my amusement was clear in my tone.

"You're not getting rid of me that easily baby girl."

. . .

When we offered the home to the Evans family, they were all very happy about it, except for Mr. Evans who was adamant about not taking anything from our family, but his mind was quickly changed by his wife.

Once he found out that Heather was pregnant before graduation, he practically disowned her, causing her to live with us full time.

So there we were, just Axel and I with his large gray Tahoe sitting outside, packing up boxes of my stuff and crates of things we could sell so that the rest of the Evans family could move in.

"Oh my god, weren't you just the most adorable chubby little girl," Axel laughed holding up a picture of me, where I couldn't have been older than one.

"I was not chubby. I was the perfect size for a baby my age!" I exclaimed, smacking Axel with one of my old children's books.

"You'd never know that you'd slim down into this," he snorted, squeezing my hip.

"I was one you asshole!" I called, as I jokingly stomped upstairs to my parents' shared office space and library.

"Aw, baby don't get mad!" Axel's voice followed me up the stairs as I began haphazardly tossing books into a box so that I could donate them to the local library.

My fingers ghosting over the spines of the books, I found myself stopping on a worn copy of Captain Underpants, looking completely out of place surrounded by Jane Eyre and Romeo & Juliet.

Finding this suspicious, I tugged on the book, curious about why it would be in my parent's bookshelf.

"Baby?" Axel asked, walking into the room as I continued struggling with the book.