Chapter 45|Voicemail

Last Chapter. The epilogue is short but it is also being posted!!!!!

Freddi

I tried forcing my body to move, but I was bone tired. Not just from the meds that hadn't worn off, but from life in general.

At the moment I desperately wanted to curl into a ball and cry silently, from both joy and sadness. My mother was dead, and if what I had heard was true, my father was now a vegetable.

If it weren't for the fact that he was defending me and then himself, Axel would have gone to jail. 

Axel explained what had happened between him and Savannah at the party. I wasn't able to respond, but he kept talking to me. Providing me with all the comfort and support I needed and when he didn't, I had Heather, Zach, and even Jack.

It only took me four days to wake up but I was okay, other than eight broken, two cracked, and three bruised ribs.

The doctors said they would heal fine on their own as they have been for the past few years. They only gave me painkillers to use if I really needed to.

Axel, on the other hand, was not so lucky. According to the doctors, his adrenaline rush for this had to have been one of the strongest cases they had ever heard of.

He'd been shot just below his knee and should have fallen immediately. The bullet tore straight through his tibia and so he had screws and a metal rod holding up the medical cement that replaced his missing bone.

He'd be off his legs for at least two months and then afterward he'd need three months of physical therapy. But, we'd get through it, together.

. . .

"Come on, seriously?" I asked Heather who convinced the nurses that I needed a wheelchair.

"You are going to be pampered for four weeks, now stop complaining," Heather shrieked at me as she began pushing me towards the elevator.

While Zach and Jack followed with Axel who's expression had changed from the carefree one he had earlier.

His expression, although originally happy since we were getting released, had changed to a more confused and somber one once he got his phone. I would be sure to ask him about it when we were alone.

Throughout the entire ride home, as we sat in Jack's large blue Jeep, separated only by the owner of the vehicle himself, no one spoke. I didn't because I was waiting on Axel to tell me his problem, and the others because they could sense, just as I could, that he didn't want to talk.

When we finally pulled up outside of the mansion, there were some reporters with cameras, most likely trying to get the inside story about why the revered, small-town sheriff wanted to kill his only child. But more than that, I noticed that Axel's mom seemed to be shooing away the reporters with a Swiffer WetJet™. The sight caused me to smile softly as we pulled into the garage.

Once the garage door was lowered, Mrs. Keaton entered through the side door, breathing heavily as though she had run a marathon. Her blonde hair was in complete disarray, and her sophisticated clothing rumpled.

Her eyes teared up as she looked towards Axel and I, then throwing the mop to the side, she engulfed her son in a large hug.

Axel obviously didn't enjoy this display of emotion as his hands stayed placed on the armrests of his wheelchair.

Usually, I would have felt awkward looking at such an intimate moment between a parent and their kid, but it made me happy to know that Mrs. Keaton wasn't just a cruel b... woman.