Chapter 2

'Lillian, what are you doing hiding here, girl? Do you know how many potential suitors are present here? And what is it I hear about you attacking Mr Abercrombie with your fan? If you were not so misbehaved, maybe I would have had you out of the house by now. You would have been married and living a normal happy life.'

Hah. As if I can ever be happy after getting married. Unless of course I marry Mr Ambrose. But I don't see that happening anytime soon or ever actually. Where are these thoughts even coming from? Working for him has made me into a sap. There are other important things at hand here. I have to distract Aunt so she doesn't see Ella and her lover.

'Oh Lillian, if only you would listen to me. You could have even had kids of your own by now. Now, Mr Abercrombie is a fine young man. If you would not have attacked him, maybe I could have arranged a walk in the garden for you. He might have even asked for your hand.'

As if I want to marry that nincompoop. Remember Lilly, distract Aunt Brank. Save Ella. And why are they still standing there? Do they not see us? Are they blind? If Aunt Brank turns her back then they are dead.

'Yes, madam. I am sorry for misbehaving with Mr Abercrombie. If you could just show me where he is then I will apologize to him for my previous actions.'

Inner eye roll. He totally deserved that and more. As if he hadn't tortured me by dancing with me. I wish I could have used my gun on him. But for that I should have my gun with me. Which I don't. Mr Ambrose took it before we even reached London. Maybe I should buy a gun with my next income.

'Lillian, are you even listening to me? What are you looking at?'

'Nothing Madam, I wasn't looking at anything. Why don't you show me towards the ball room?'

Why aren't they moving? Why are they still looking into each other's eyes like it is the last time they will see each other. Well, it might as well be. Because Aunt Brank wasn't convinced with my acting and she turned and she saw them.

'Ella', she whispered.

Shock was not the reaction I was expecting from Aunt Brank. I expected anger, seething anger. If Edmund had been of noble birth or a member from the British Army or even somebody rich, she would have been happy. But not now, not when, he is none of the above. Not when he is just Edmund Conway, our poor neighbour.

I don't think they saw it or I for that matter. Because one moment, aunt was standing beside me just staring at them, opening and closing her mouth like a seagull, and the other she was marching towards them.

'Ella! What are you doing here with Mr Conway?'

If looks could kill, Edmund would be six feet, scratch that, six hundred feet under the ground. Oh, wait. I get a glare too.

'Aa... au... aunt... Um... umm nothing' said my sweet little sister.

It might have even be believable if they still weren't holding hands.

***

The carriage ride was filled with silence. But this wasn't the silence I was used to, this was different. With Mr Ambrose even this silence is thrilling. Aunt Brank's silence was the one before the storm. Everyone was anticipating her next move. Well everyone except Uncle Bufford that is. He left for the sanctuary that is his office as soon as we reached home.

Everybody was shocked when he came downstairs to come with us to attend Gertrude's marriage. But it was one of those times when even he couldn't win from Aunt Brank. Maybe, if I offer him money he can convince Aunt Brank to drop this topic. I know he can hear Aunt Brank even from his office. She was shouting more like screeching at poor Ella.