Chapter 4

What have I done? I agreed to marry someone of my aunt's choice. I agreed to not run. I have ruined my own life! How could I be that stupid? Maybe if I had more time, maybe then I could do something else. And I asked for a day! Just a day? How the heck am I supposed to explain this to my friends? My feminist friends! The ones who think that I am in love with a man with whom I ran away with, the last time I went on an adventure with Mr Ambrose.

Mr Ambrose... How will I explain all of this to him? Will it even matter to him that he won't be able to see me every day? Does anything related to me even matter to him? Will he care that I am not his secretary anymore? Maybe he will be glad that he won't have a woman as a secretary anymore. He might actually crack a smile when he gets to know that he can have a male secretary again.

Why do I care? Because I won't be able to go on any adventures with him anymore. Because I won't be able to kiss him, touch him or feel him against me. Because I won't get to see his perfect face every day. Because I won't hear his voice every day or see his handwriting or even just be in the presence of his silence.

No no no no no no. The only reason I care is because I won't be able to work anymore once I get married. Yes, that's it. I won't be able to make a living. I would have to live with some stupid chauvinist man.

Nothing you could do now Lilly. You should have thought about this before you made that idiotic choice.

Well, standing in front of Empire House, 322 Leadenhall Street for the last time, one thing which I can say for sure is, that if I can handle Mr Ambrose for more than a year then I can handle anything which life, more like whatever Aunt Brank throws at me.

Time to work. Maybe I should embrace what little freedom is left with me. This is it, my last day to work.

***

'Hello, Mr Stone.'

He smiled up at me. But something seemed off. 'Good Morning, Mr Linton'

I looked at the door. 'How is his mood?'

Mr Stone coughed, 'Umm.. . He was very annoyed yesterday. And even today he doesn't seem to be in a very good mood.'

'Well, thanks for the fair warning, Mr Stone.'

Of course, he was annoyed. He had to get up himself to get the files and do all the menial work himself yesterday. I guess he earned that right.

'Here's his correspondence for the day.' said Mr Stone while handling me the letters. As always there were the pink letters as well.

I heard it as soon as I entered my office. That cold voice.

'Mr Linton! You are three minutes and thirty two seconds late. And this is if I don't count the minutes you wasted on talking with Mr Stone.'

'Good Morning to you too, sir.'

'Why were you not present in the office yesterday?'

'You see, Sir, the day before yesterday was one of my sister's wedding. So I was very tired and busy with some ... personal matter.'

Silence and a cold glare. That's all I got. No questions.

'Mr Linton?'

'Yes, Sir?'

'I hope this personal work was important because your wages will be deducted.'

'Of course they will, Sir.'

This was to be expected. This is the man who deducts my wages even if I was a minute late. So it's impossible that he won't do it if I miss a whole day of work.