Chapter 3

Rikkard Ambrose

Silent. That was how my life was. Wasn't it? But not anymore. Not after her entry. Not after she barged into my life. Not she, he. Not after he barged into my life.

But, where is he right now? Its two minutes past eight on a Monday morning. She should be here by now. Not she, He. How many times do I have to remind myself? While she is working here, she is a he. This is easy to remember. Then why do I have to keep reminding myself that in my office he is Mr Victor Linton. Does sh... he not value time? Or money? Sh.. He realizes that I will deduct his wages, right?

Why am I even thinking about her in the first place? I need to work and make money. I don't have time to waste thinking about her... no him!

Where is she? It's been an hour. She... he... does it even matter? She is not here and she cannot listen to my thoughts. She cannot listen to my thoughts anyway. That woman is making me question my senses. Why is she not here by now? She has never been this late.

She is fine. She has to be. Nobody knows about her. Nobody knows that she is my secretary. Nobody knows what she... means to me. She has to be fine.

It's noon and she is still not here. She will have to overtime if she wants me not to cut her wages. But, why is she not here? And why am I still thinking about her and not working? Remember, knowledge is power is time is money. And I need to make money.

Wasn't she at her sister's wedding yesterday night? Or some after party or something useless or time wasting like that? Maybe she is tired? Yes, that's it. She is tired and that's why she didn't come.

Six hours. It's been silent for six hours. She didn't come. Why? Where is she? Did Lord Dalgliesh get to her? No! I can't let that happen. No. I have to make sure she is fine.

'Karim!'

The Mohammedan came at once. 'Yes, Sahib.'

'Prepare a coach at once.'

'Are we going somewhere, Sahib?'

'You are.'

'Where, Sahib?'

'To Mr Linton's house.'

'To the ifrit's house? Why, Sahib?' the mountain-like man complained. It was amusing how she had gotten under the skin of Karim.

'You have to make sure that she is safe. Just check her house or the park near her house or some other places. '

'What do I do after I find her, Sahib?'

'Just report back. Leave now.'

'Yes, Sahib.'

I never thought I would be this worried by that devilish woman's absence. That ifrit! How dare she not come to work? How dare she make me worried...

'Sahib, I found her!'

'Where was she?'

'She was at her home'

'And where did you see her? What was she doing?'

'Sahib, I saw her in her room with her sister. It seems like they were hugging.'

'You can go now.'

Hugging? She was hugging? The act of holding a person for no apparent reason? She missed an important day of work for something as useless as hugging? I wasted most of my day worrying about her. That woman! I could have made so much money if I had not wasted my day. I will be deducting her wages. Yes, I will do that. And I will deduct her wages because she made me worry about her.