With Me

After James had left, I started moving along to the music stuck inside my head. It reminded me of the tune James would have me listen to when I needed better sleep. He would oftentimes wind up on edge whenever I woke up as I did not have the traditional sleeping schedule.

I was conscious for thirty-six hours each cycle and after that sleeping for twelve. James continued to assure me that it was typical, that I was completely healthy. He explained to me that if the normal human was down in a cave, without knowing it was night or daytime, they would not feel tired after only twelve hours. He told me that they would feel tired after thirty-six to thirty-seven hours, like me. And since they are conscious for such a long time they would rest for a more drawn out timeframe, meaning they would rest for twelve hours. Much the same as me.

I believe James liked to tell me that I was ordinary so I could feel normal. But, I realized it was not true. I felt like every minute felt different from the last one, particularly after the last test. I was feeling different. Very different.

When I cleaned the table and removed all of James's tools, I went upstairs, feeling heavier and heavier at every step. My body felt cleaner and newer, like the first day I was made. I got to the top of the stairs and silently shut the door.

I frowned, freezing in my spot. A song. I heard a song. It sounded like a chirp. A trill. Perhaps a chirrup. My senses heightened. I glanced over to the hall and followed the sound deeper into the room. Three doors down, and three doors to the left. That is exactly where it was. The door that was never opened. It is not that I was not allowed to open it, it is simply that I never did. My father never told me that is was forbidden to open this one door, but it was just a mutual understanding that I did not need to open it. I always decided not to.

But it was open.

Something fell over me. The desire- the need to open it more. To see what is in there. I slowly walked closer to the door. The breathing began to fade in. It slowly came back and it was clearer than before. There was a voice. It was dark and foreign to me. It was different.

"Run faster, faster. Farther, go further."

The voice said the same thing over and over again. I held my breath as my heart raced faster and faster, mirroring the pulse in my head. It was fast. Out of air, I speed up and slam open the door. It was dark, there was vegetation on the floor and lights on the ceiling. There was a fence around me and a gate that had been shut and secured. The tune went on, and it was not from just one spot, it was from all around me.

The noise continued from all over. I turned around to listen to the vibrations. My heart rate went faster and faster. I grit my teeth together and put my hand on my chest, holding it over my heart. I was gasping and struggling to swallow it. I started to sink, but then it ended. It all stopped.

My heart, the loud noises, all of that. The loud breathing became calm. Then my gaze narrowed at something that was not there before. A dog. A wolf. For the longest time, he stared at me. I remained frozen on the spot, frigid cold in the temperature I was in. The sat for the longest time until he took a little step closer. My pulse decreased to a normal pace, but I still felt anxious. I had never seen a wolf in real life before then.

Slowly, he moved towards me and through the gate. As soon as his whole body was past the threshold, he changed right in front of my eyes. He was a man in a suit, and he was beautiful. His hair was all black. His face was shaped so cleanly and there were no lines to be seen. That is what made him look young. His jacket was a dark navy blue that suited his white tie very well. His hair was brushed back and not a single one was out of place. His shoes were shiny black. He grinned slightly, slowing to a halt in front of me.

I took a step back, widening my eyes at the sight of the man. Immediately he hesitated and took a little step closer. "Hello?" I shuddered at his tone. It was rich, soft, and I would fall for it every time I heard it.

"Hello," I said nervously.

"My name is Alexander." He said, walking up the stairs. "What is your name?" He asked without the slightest expression on his face. It was weird, I never saw James do that before.

"Seven-" I stopped myself. That was no longer my name.

"Seven?-"

"No!" I interrupted. He frowned and tilted his head a little. "No. My name is Lilith. Lilith Marshall."

"Lilith?" He asked, his eyes suddenly brighter.

"Yes," I said softly. I remembered James told me to always be vigilant, but he never said anything about talking to strangers. I look up at him, and at the same moment, he seemed so sad and confused at the same time. "What happened..." He said so quietly that I could barely understand him.

"What?" I replied, frowning.

"What happened to your eyes? Why are you blind?"

I grimaced. Blind means to be unable to see because of injury or of a medical condition. I was not blind.

"What? I am not blind." I state. He took a step towards me so he was an inch away from my face. I felt the confidence in his stride and in every movement in his body. He reached out and lifted a piece of my hair. He looked into my pale, colorless eyes with an emotionless expression.

I was able to get a closer look at his face. It was perfect. I could see no imperfections at all. No marks, scars, bumps, or blemishes- nothing at all. His hair was so perfect it was as if he had put each individual hair in its place. He was very... attractive.

I gasped a little as his skin brushed over mine. It was warm and his touch burned. And still, it felt good. The pain would not go away after his hand had left my face. Immediately, his eyes changed color and shape, into a diamond. His orbs were a crystal blue that I could get lost in for hours. "You're not blind." He stated, and he seemed almost relieved. I grabbed his hand, intertwining his fingers with mine.

I enjoyed feeling the faint burn of his touch. It made my heart pound, but at the same time, it made me feel calm. I loved it. I loved his touch, I loved his look, I loved the feeling, I loved everything about him. I swallowed hard, looking up at him, I got lost in the eyes that I would remember forever. He placed his other hand on my cheek, staring into my own colorless eyes. We were so close that I could move an inch and his skin would brush mine.

I look up to find him deep in thought, his eyes closed. He seemed to be thinking hard, I could almost see it. As if he was having a mental battle with himself. "Come and stay with me." He says as his eyes snap open.

Suddenly, his eyes were a piercing red. I looked back at my house, looking for an answer. I was wondering how could I go with a random man I just met. James would be so disappointed if I had made the wrong choice, I never made the wrong choice.

But it will make you a regular girl.

I swallowed, listening to the voice in my head. It was right but it is so wrong to do. My father would worry sick about me...

But what if I do?