Bonfires & Books Pt.2

Bigbang is still alive...
Enjoy, readers that still give a shit

"What is the meaning of this?" Madeya hissed in disbelief, standing from her seat to look at Count Caligula, who didn't seemed to be phased from the turn of events.

He merely sipped his drink from his jewel covered cup and stared at the stage as the announcer kept speaking before glancing at Madeya. "This is the main event, Lady Madeya. Don't tell me this isn't to your liking?"

'How can a slaves auction be likeable!?' She thought, furious at his ludicrous question.

But she refrained from speaking ill to the Count, her priority was always to maintain her brothers reputation on it's high pedestal as it always was for over centuries. Instead, she recollected herself and sank back to her seat, defeated.

"No, it's nothing." She forced a smile and her voice was strained. "Pardon me, I was just caught off guard."

He looked satisfied with her response, and looked down at the stage with interest flaring in his eyes. She followed his gaze though her eyes didn't share his level of sickening apathy. The spotlight shifted from the host to someone else, or rather, something else; but she was unable to identify their species due to the large rag that was draped around them. Although, their hands were left out in the open, shackled by their wrists and, judging from the trail of chains on the stage, their ankles too.

She was certain her conversation with the Count didn't even take a few seconds, but bidders were already calling on their prices.

"25,000!" One lady called out in the far left.

"30,000!" Another man countered.

"32,000!" And another.

No one spoke after that final declaration, and the host grinned. "This is the final call, 32,000! Going once...!"

Nothing. Madeya felt second hand nervousness as she shifted her focus to the slave, who made no attempt to flee or protest, and the lack of a reaction made her heart swell for the stranger.

"Going twice...!" The host called out, his fingers slowly closing in as he counted down.

No one said anything, not even the slave.

"Sold!"

A round of applause erupted as the bidder stood up, a tall and lanky vampire who took his time to walk up to the stage, grab the slave by their shackles, and drag them away without so much as a greeting. She felt his bloodlust from where she sat, and knew for a fact that the slave may not survive the night with their new master. She bit her lip, frowning.

Another person was pushed to the stage as they stumbled forwards, landing on their stomach with a loud thud, before crying out. The crowd laughed at their shortcoming, but it didn't stop there.

"PLEASE!" The voice was definitely shrill enough to belong to a young girl, and her hood fell, exposing her beautiful lush green skin tone. None of that mattered as tears streamed down her yellow eyes, and snot dripped down her nose. "SOMEONE HELP ME, HELP-"

But her pleas were cut short as she choked back her words, and her hands flew to her neck as if trying to remove a pair of invisible hands attempting to cut off her wind pipe. Her body sprawled back to the floor, shaking in pain.

"What is happening?" Madeya's question flew out before she could stop herself.

"Her contract seal is punishing her." He explained, sighing at her agony as if her attempts were futile and insignificant.